Could this be a relapse???

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AndreaMMS
New User

Could this be a relapse???

Postby AndreaMMS » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

I was diagnosed with C-Diff in November of 2007, and had 6 relapses between then and May of 2008. I was on Vancocin (very, very slow taper)until September of 2008 to be sure it was gone, and had no problems until recently.

Last week I had what I thought was a 24-hour flu (which was going around). Intense diarrhea and vomiting for 24 hours. That ended Wednesday, but I am still nauseus and have mild stomach cramps. Very weak and tired. No diarrhea.

My doctor pronounced me cured back in September. But could it possibly be back??? Could this be just a lingering flu (which is obviously what I am hoping)? Should I be tested? Can one have C-diff without the diarrhea?

Thanks.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm

def stomach bug rememeber 3 day rule!

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Watch it very very closely!! I would say for now it sounds like there is war between good bacteria and bad going on but seems with no D you are safe. However my son relapsed after getting a flu and another lady who is on this board had her son relapse after getting flu so just watch it. Take your probioitcs and eat some yogurt and wait it out. With no D I don't think you should suspect c diff is back yet.
Amanda

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

The bug that causes the 24 hours of vomiting and diarrhea is called Norovirus(previously known as Norwalk). It is nasty this year and very easily spread. It tends to spread quickly(incubation is usually about 12 hours) so wash your hands, wash your hands. This year it is awful. According to our infection control nurse it goes in cycles and every 4th year it is really bad. I work in a care centre with 225 residents and over half the residents plus the staff got it in a two week period over Christmas - it spread like wild fire. I read that the virus can only live on surfaces for 12 hours so if you can't clean the area because you are so sick quarintine the area for a day and then clean with an antibacterial soap or cleaner. The best way to prevent it is wash your hand. I'm lucky that my employers are able to send me to another location to work if there is an outbreak.

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I had the norovirus last month and i had vomiting and D for about two days. With the norovirus, you will still feel lingering effects for a week or so. I would wait it out and see how you feel in a week for two. Most people do not experience vomitting duirng C-diff relapses unless it is a very severe relapse.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Andrea- Since the diarrhea has stopped I would think it may not be a reoccurence of cdiff. Possibly your electrolytes are out of whack. Eat bananas & yogurt and drink gatorade and see if that helps. Of course, stay in contact with your doctor as it is not impossible for cdiff to rear its ugly self when your gut flora is compromised by virus or whatever. Good luck!
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”