Checking In

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
CDiffMommy
Regular User

Checking In

Postby CDiffMommy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi, I'm sorry to be posting again, but my other topic was locked. My doctor is not in the office today, so the only way to get in touch with him is to page him as an emergency. I haven't felt the greatest today (a little tired and a little weak), had two BM's. My question is that the second looked like it has a tiny bit of mucous in it. Is that always a sign of CDiff or could that still be just my stomach healing? I'm so incredibly nervous, but I don't want to page my dr. unless it's an emergency. I just know how quickly things can go downhill with this disease for me. If it happens again, I'll page him but in the meantime, did this happen to anyone and were they fine afterwards and it was just a sign maybe of their stomach healing, IBS, etc?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Yes, mucous is usually "normal" with C. diff. Also common with IBS.

If you feel you need to page the doc. on call, don't hestitate to do so! I never used to have the nerve to do it, but I don't have a qualm now.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks Bobbie -I just paged the doc cause I had a 3rd BM and this time was much less solid. Hoping to God it is just a "bad day" or part of IBS and not the start of a relapse. I just can't take it. I have a little baby at home.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:59 pm

CdiffMommy,
You can "take it." Everyone on the site understands how you feel. Good luck. Hope it's "just" IBS - not fun but better than C. diff.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:07 pm

I know, it's just that last time I ended up in the hospital twice and I just can't go down that road again, esp with the baby. Thanks for your words, it helps to hear them. I truly hope it's IBS. Thanks again.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 pm

CDiffMommy,

I pray that it's not C-Diff, and only IBS. I didn't have any mucous during C Diff, but have had it with IBS. Can't say whether it's either one, of course, but truly hoping you don't have to go through it again. If you do, however, like Bobbie said, you can get through it. It will be horrible, I know, but you're stronger than you think! All of us here have found this to be true. I've found friends here who have kept me encouraged so many times. Please let us know how things go!

Thinking of you,

Karen

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time. Please know that as the others have said, you will get through it even though the fear alone can be debilitating. Try not to worry and definitely steer clear of the what if mind set(ex. what if I relapse, what if I am hospitalized....) it can consume you, I know from personal experience at probably being the worst person for it but I think I have begun to overcome that type of thinking. Don't hesitate to call the dr, don't ever feel bad about doing that. You need to do what you know in your heart to be necessary.

I know the fears of dealing with c diff and having a baby. My son was only 5 months old when I began my ordeal with c diff and to top that off he came down with c diff during my ordeal. My husband was deployed so it was just me. I couldn't have anyone else come in and take care of him because of all the special procedures I had to take for diaper changing and how sick he was. Yes it was a very hard time in my life(probably the hardest I have faced yet) and I wish that upon no one but I got through it and you will too. My prayers will be with you!
Amanda

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank you Karen and Amanda - your words and thoughts mean so much. I'm sorry you both had to go through this also - it is truly a horrible disease.
Amanda - I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I can't even imagine being alone and having a baby with Cdiff also. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks after my baby was born and have been dealing with it ever since (she is 4 1/2 months now). Thankfully I have my husband and my family around and they've been an enormous help, especially through the really tough times.
As far as an update on me today- I ended up having a fourth BM today which turned out to be D (which of course freaked me out because I haven't had that in so long). However, that was this afternoon and it's been at least 6 hours since any occurence since then. I feel a lot better - have energy, have eaten and drank a lot of water....my legs just feel really achy (have NO clue what that means, but I didn't go for a run or anything. haha). SO I am praying that MAYBE just MAYBE this is just a "bad day" of adjusting and/or IBS related. If it were CDIff, do you think it would have continued all day and into the night? Could symptoms like that be an adjustment or IBS? I am at a loss...
I'm just really hoping to get through tomorrow without occurence so that I can talk to my doctor on monday and have a test done during reg business hours. I know there are false negatives, but I just really want to see what is going on before anything has a chance to get out of hand. I think that is my biggest fear above all else. I'd rather just get back on meds if I have to before I get any worse, if this is in fact CDiff.
Thank you for listening and for responding.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:00 pm

You wrote, "my legs just feel really achy"

This could be from the "D". When I had IBS prior to C Diff and had D, my legs would often ache afterwards. I really don't know, just telling you what I have experienced.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and were able to eat. Yay! Only your doc can tell you if they think it's C Diff or not, but I hope you get through tomorrow just fine! I believe you'll know if it's come back or not, or when you should call your doc. Hang in there :-)

Karen

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Wow really, that is interesting... I wonder if there is any correlation. I guess it puts your body through a lot so nothing is impossible.
Thanks again for all the well wishes!! :)

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:20 pm

I have always had the pressure sensation going down my legs during an episode of bowel spasms and diarrhea. I think lots of people have experienced this and I could never and have never gotten the proper response from any doctor as to what causes it. I think it must be nerve endings or something............just another QUIRKY thing that goes along with cdiff.
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 am

sounds like ibs.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks Cindy & Vike.
I hope you're right Vike. My concern is though that I never really had D during any of the adjustment periods (tapering on vanco)...my bad days were only frequent BM's, but no D. THen yesterday I had D, and this morning I had very very loose (that's all I'll say, sorry!), although not quite D. I am hoping it's IBS, but it just seems so coincidental that today is a week I'm off vanco and now all of a sudden I'm having BM's like this. Could be my body adjusting I suppose, or even still fighting the cdiff? I guess it's possible and I'm hoping it's IBS....
I'll be going to the lab tomorrow or tuesday so I'm hoping I will know more.
Thanks again everyone. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that today goes ok. :)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”