dental issues

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Loraseery
New User

dental issues

Postby Loraseery » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 pm

I got c. diff from taking clindamyacin for tooth problems and now I just found out I have a possible abcess between my teeth. My dentist wanted to give me penicillin but I asked for a topical antiobiotic and he put Arestin on my gums and told me it should stop infection until he can treat better and replace 2 crowns. Does anyone know about topical antibiotics?
I also took diflucan for vaginal yeast and was wondering if that can cause c. diff to return?

Loraseery
New User

dental issues

Postby Loraseery » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am

Also, I was wondering if penicillin is ok to take if I need to for the dental infection? I see on one antibiotic list it is ok and on another it is bad. Thx.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am

No antibiotic is always best but not always doable so if you need them a topical one would be the best. It has the least absorbtion into the gut. Penicillian is considered one of the safe antibioitcs which doesn't mean it won't cause c diff, it has for some people, it is just considered safer then the other options. C Diff with penicillan is much more rare then like amoxicillan or others. I think you are fine with diflucan. Have yet to hear about that causing c diff to return. In the future if you want to make sure the diflucan doesn't affect your good bacteria I would recommend just using a prescription cream instead. Very little is absorped into the body. The only thing with Diflucan is that you can't take your Florastor with it. It kills Florastor and Florastor says not to be taken with Antifungals.
Amanda

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”