New here and a bit fearful

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

I have a question regarding work. I am not sure how soon to go back, if I take off Sunday(my next scheduled day) I will then be able to fill out FMLA forms,I dont see my Doctor until Tuesday. They said to bring any forms with me.

I feel it would be better to go ahead with a leave to get this all documented since I dont know what to expect in re: recovery time and /or relapse if it happens and I hope it doesn't.

As of now I feel ok..but still groggy from these meds, mouth is dry, and I have anxiety at night which leaves me awake for hours.

No attacks of D in 2 days..so maybe this stuff is doing its work.

oilsgirl
New User

Postby oilsgirl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 pm

A couple of things. Yogurt is good for you so if you want to eat it and you seem to tolerate it, do. It has good bacteria that help to control the bad bacteria like c.diff. You might also look into other probiotics. I do well with Culturelle, which can be found in most drug stores, and the ones that don't stock it can order it in a day or so. I've been c.diff free for nearly two years now and any time I need an antibiotic, I take one per day in between antibiotic doses and then one a day for about 2-3 weeks after. Others on here use other probiotics. 80% of people are cured of c.diff. with one or two rounds of Flagyl or Vancomycin. So stay positive and try not to let the fear stress you out. :)

Many people, me included, are left with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) following c.diff. infection, but we can talk about that later if you want. It sounds like the Flagyl is doing a good job on you right now, so hopefully you will be one of the 80%. :)

In terms of eating, it's different for everyone. It never made a bit of difference what I ate when I had c.diff. Some people have foods they can't tolerate at all. So, see what works for you. Nutritious food is good for you and will help you heal, so eat it if you tolerate it. One thing that helped me was to push the soluble fiber -- apples, bananas, white bread (instead of the whole wheat I ate before, etc.), etc. It helps absorb water in the stool and I'm all for that!!!

Good luck to you. :)

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Thaks for all the replies.

I am on day 4 of Flagyl. I have not had any bowel movement in almost 2 days. I was rather infrequent before c diff (2-3 times per week) should I be concerned?

I am still feeling occasional cramping.

I truly hate what this medicine does to me, I have panic attacks out of nowhere, it is rather scarey.
Also, are chills normal, they pass..but I notice them only in the first few hours after dosing.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Chills can be a very normal part of c diff as your body is fighting an infection. I would check with the dr on the no bm for 2 days. It can be nothing as some people get constipation with Flagyl. In my case I was given lomotil so that stopped things for two days and it became rather serious because that is not what my body wanted to do and the toxins sat in my intestines. I would just check with your dr. You can always try a fiber suplement as the soluble fiber will be good for the good bacteria if any has survived the flagyl. I chew benefiber tabs everyday. Feeds the good bacteria, is recommended for IBS and keeps you regular. They say you can take up to 3 servings a day. I do just one. Do what works for you. Also my gastro told me if need be to take Miralax. Just did like half a serving to get things to move. But once again ask your dr. Trust me I understand how severly anxious this nasty bug can make a person. If you read back through some of my inital posts you can see how anxious I was. In the end I relied on my faith and it has gotten me through. You will beat this as most people do. Just remember you are fighting round one with c diff. Stay in the moment of that. Don't be in the state of mind of what if I relapse because then your mind is living as if you already have relapsed and you endure all that fear and panic. Just focus on now. Remind yourself that 80% beat this with one or two rounds of meds. Those are great odds.
Amanda

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:52 pm

I had severe constipation after my very first dose of Vanco. I had to use suppositories and Milk of Magnesia (the latter gave me some bad stomach cramps). If you can walk, do it or get some kind of light exercise and drink PLENTY of water! As bad as the"D" is, the "C" can be pretty awful, too. You might want to be a little easy with yourself if you start a fiber supplement; I couldn't tolerate it...made me really sick to my stomach.

Karen

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:24 am

even water scares me!!! we have a filtration system and or boil our water! Also any anti axiety meds for this bug freaks your mind out like h***, and the flagyl too.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:51 am

Vike- Xanax taken in small dosage has been a lifesaver for me!
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 am

ditto I wil ususally take a .25 every 8 hours or as needed but when I had the diff I was takin 1mg every eight hours now i only take as needed! Shows you how this disease can play w/your mind.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Well I am not constipated anymore, and I dont have D.

I am asking my self a question that I am quite sure most of us have asked..

What are the factors that allow 1 person to recover after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl, while others are still battling..for even years.

I feel like I want to tell my Dr. not to take me off this Rx even tho it is making me miserable,Why dont Dr.s think to have a patient pulse for a week instead of just stopping the treatment. I am so worried I will have a relapse and I haven't even finished my 1st round of Flagyl ,this is crazy.

Still off of work, I cant do my job with these awful occasional side effects of this RX,and I am still feeling weak. I have not resorted yet to taking any Alprazolam, I have sort of just bit the bullet and fought through the anxiety episodes.

I tried some Kefir today,I am trying 4 oz. -4hours after a dose.
My stomache is a bit upset, since yesterday,mild cramping, like I feel like a blender went through it, but I have nothing like the sever cramps ect as in the first days.
Hope you are all doing well.

//S.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:49 pm

I think we would all like to know why some folks recover so much faster from cdiff than others do. In my case, I was misdiagnosed for a month, and had p colitis, so my guess is that it took 8 months for me to beat cdiff because I was so sick in the beginning. But that is only a guess.

Your question about docs is a good one. My doc had me taper at one point, but only for 8 days. Didn't work. Why such a short taper? I think that many docs just don't know what to do.

Hang in there. You too will beat this.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks Nancy,
I think I had slight signs of the infection before I started with the D (lower back ache)and I got diagnosed 3 days after the D and began treatment, I do believe however, I had the P colitis as well within 2 days due to the Blood being present after 1 day. After my first initial attack which woke me in the middle of the night I started BRAT diet immediately do to I was afraid to eat,like most. So I didn't have the usual 20-30 trips to the bathroom, it was mostly in the A.m with the cramping.

I feel really fearful knowing that there is no certain recovery or guarantee with this stuff.
I also want to say how grateful I am to this site and it's members. If it wasn't for that and having a computer, I may have chalked off my symptoms to UC which I had been free of for 10 years. I am so glad I looked up the side effects of the last RX I had been given, and went to Dr. when I did. I only hope it will be a factor in a positive recovery..

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Suezer. I can see that you're already anxious about a relpase. Stop right there :-) Worrying about it is only going to make things worse. I was one that had 2 rounds of vanco (couldn't take flagyl and I don't even think I needed the 2nd round) and got rid of C Diff. I have been left with PI IBS, but I had IBS prior to C-Diff and have always had a sensitive digestive system. Remember, the ones on this board are usually ones that have a difficult time. YOU may very well not be one of those people! Stay OPTIMISTIC that this round will work for you. As my Mom would say, "don't put the cart before the horse." You will beat this!

My very best to you,

Karen

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Suezer- If you had p.colitis trust me you would have known. There would be no break in it at night. It purges from your body like you have every faucet and shower in your house going at the same time. There is no way you can funnel in enough liquids to replace what you are losing. With the p.colitis there is no choice but hospitalization.....except death. I had that bad stuff on more than one occasion and almost died and it is something that you will never forget in your lifetime.
Cindy

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Is it possible then to have blood/mucus and tissue coming out of you if it is a simple case of C Diff? That is what I had, however I went to the Dr. immediatley the day I noticed it.

klt, I will try to think positive, and thank you for your words.
Cindy, I am sorry you had to go through that,truly it must have been horrible.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 pm

A" will help you get thru this! FYI

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”