22 years old almost certain to have c.diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
iamloco724
New User

22 years old almost certain to have c.diff

Postby iamloco724 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

hi im a 22 year old male was on penicillin vk for a week after a root canal,2 days after finishing the course i devloped diaherra,took imodium for 2-3 days then stopped and everything got worse im having on the average 3-5 movements a day..

i finally went to the dr told him what was going on he believes i have c.diff i have to bring in stool sample for confirmation,he prescribed flagyl 250mg 4 times a day for 7 days..yesterday i started taking culturelle..

any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of things that can help what i should eat anything else i should do to treat this as best as possible im hoping to beat this with one course of antibiotics and hopefully no relapse

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:37 pm

i dont see a way to edit so i have to reply i just want to add..that i see its more common for flagyl dosage to be 500-750 for this is my dosage ok?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm

iamloco (yes, cdiff can make you loco),
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Roy gave you some good advice. I too hope that you don't have cdiff. When I had it, I was going to the bathroom about every 20 minutes round the clock. Most people (about 80%) beat it with 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin, so I hope you are in the lucky majority. Your odds are better since you are young.

About diet, see Nutrition in the FAQ section. I was told no caffeine, no alcohol, little fat, little fiber, little spice. Some folks become lactose-intolerant due to cdiff, so be careful about dairy products. All of us who have had cdiff will have to be very careful about taking antibiotics in the future. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:47 am

thanks all..pretty much everyday when it happens its when i first get up and its like 3-6 times for a few hours then usually the urgency and the actual going goes away..i have abdominal pain all day not severe cramps and burning..last night i started the flaygl and took 3 culturelle yesterday throughout the day and night woke up tonight had a semi normal movement a little loose but totally different then every other day then didnt go at al lthe rest of the day still have same abdominal pain though with back pain probably from going so much

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:13 pm

havnt brought in the sample yet..but one quick question..is it possible after antibiotc course that the stomach flora is just imbalanced and you dont grow the c.diff bactera and can cause similar symptoms?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:24 pm

It is best to take a sample after you have been off of Flagyl or vanco at least 10 - 14 days. Otherwise you risk getting a false negative test result.

To answer your question, yes, after antibiotics you can have similar symptoms to cdiff (D and so on), without having cdiff. So I hope that is what you are having.

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:02 pm

to me it seems that way in my mind i dont think i have it cause my symptoms arent nearly as bad as half of the things i read..i dont know we wil lsee what happenes

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:10 pm

so i finished the flagyl still havnt gotten my test results i called today they said it takes 10 days for results..

i finished flagyl on mon wed had real bad day now it seem like back to D frequently when i was on the flagyl i dont know if it constipated me or was helping i had the same cramps but my bms were quite normal as soon as i stop im loose again..

when i first get up i go 2-4 times then i usually dont go anymore throughout the day its always just when i first get up..any else expierence this or know why that is?

im drinking one cup of lifeway strawberry kefier a day and take usually 3 cultruelle through out the day

i can barely eat anything without some sort of pain in my stomach even the blandest and recommended things

i just dont know whats going on anymore..my symptoms do seem mild compared to alot of people..but i dont know why mine is just wehn i get up and why i have so much problems eating other people on here seem to be able to eat certain things for me even if i have plain toast it upsets my stomach

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Well first I am not sure what type of test they are running but it is definetly not c diff. C diff takes 48 hours at the most not even close to 10 days. Really weird that they would say that. As far as the c diff I am would not say 100% that is what you are having. It would be a very mild case of c diff it is and I would let the good bacteria in the stomach try to win it out. Now if you got constant watery D then you should definetly seek treatment but what you have currently doesn't sound like c diff, just my opinion though not medical advice. My sister-in-law went through two rounds of antibiotics after being exposed to c diff from me and my son. She got severe nausea and cramping and like you would have looser stools 4 or 5 times a day just in the evening though instead of morning. I was sure sure sure she had c diff starting but it never got worse then that. I made her take Florastor and Good Colon Health by Phillips. Now I think her tummy was just thrown off balance by the c diff. She is perfectly fine now. Has no problems. I would be talking to your dr about what test exactly they ran and why it is taking so long because from what I know c diff test don't take close to that.
Amanda

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 pm

well i know he was doing multiple tests not just for c.diff he was testing for parasites and various bacteria from food poisening..im thinking i might buy florastor to try that...

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm

is there anyone else that cant even stomach kefier drinks..at first i was fine with them now i go to drink not even half a cup and a few sips in i have a burning in my stomach and have to rush to the bathroom

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:30 pm

Sorry meant to say her tummy was thrown off by the antibiotics, not c diff.
Amanda

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 pm

Yes many can't stomach kefier, it is lactose based so it can be hard on your stomach. Especially when things are quite right in there already. Even if they did other tests the c diff one would already have results back and they can tell you if it was positive or negative.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Iamloco...if you have C-Diff...I could barely eat anything other than crackers and jello for quite some time. It took months for me to be able to drink Kefir. When I was having issues w/IBS last month, I couldn't drink it. Now my tummy has settled back down and I just had some yesterday. It's odd...some days I can tolerate certain things, and when I try them again, not good. Like you, I could NOT even eat toast. I had plain white rice and oddly enough, oatmeal that Roy recommended. The oatmeal sat very well on my tummy. I had to work my way up to real food. YOU WILL GET THERE! It just may take some time.

My best wishes to you...Karen

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:51 pm

well i just went to the dr the one that fills in for mine on the weekends..because since last night ive been having bad watery d so things seem to have gotten worse i have had 6 movements so far today..

and this is just my luck my results came back but someone in the office messed up and didnt test me for c.diff so now i have to do the sample over again and this time was given flagyl again but at 500mg 3 times a day for 10 days.

im hoping to be able to give the sample before i start the anitibiotic so its no possible false negatives...

and one more question when it comes to the sample if i have the sample but the dr is closed or if i can only give one vial do i refrigerate what i have or keep at room temp?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”