22 years old almost certain to have c.diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:57 pm

If your dr is closed and they didnt give you a lab that you could take it to at the hospital anytime of day then I would wait to collect a sample until they are open if you can. They have to be tested within 4 hours of the bowel movement. Collecting a sample and keeping it in the fridge over night can and will alter the results. They also have to be refrigerated immediately and kept cold until you hand them over to the lab. Also you might still run the risk of a false negative unless you have been off flagyl for 10-14 days. This is the recommended time for being off meds before retesting. There is a section under FAQ I believe about testing and false negatives. Also I am very sorry you are getting worse. It is not fun dealing with this at all but know one way or another you will beat this.
Defintely would recommend getting Florastor asap and maybe culturelle if you can do that also.
Amanda

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:49 pm

is rice krispies or corn flakes ok cereals to eat?

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:03 pm

i have a new dilemma i know im getting annoying...well yesterday i woke up to a semi normal movement,,today the same just had to go twice back to back but it was normal

my question is the past 2 night ive been eating white rice with dinner and rice krispies at night i dont know if its those foods binding me or im getting better from whatever is going on..its a dilemma cause i still havnt started the flagyl i was giving the main reason i didnt cause i wanted to get samples without being on it but now i dont wanna start it if im getting better on my own

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Thats fantastic that you have had a good day so far!! Happy for you! It is always up to you and your doc to decide whats best for you. If it were me and I was having a good day, I would wait it out and see. Maybe the good bacteria are winning the battle in your stomach. Worth giving them a fighting chance if you feel like you can wait to start the meds. If you were having a full blown relapse then even eating rice would not make your stools return to normal. I would take it one day at a time. If you continue to have good days then that is fantastic but if things go downhill (see 3 day rule under faq) then rethink about trying flagyl only if you feel completely sure it is a relapse and not possible ibs. Sometimes peoples systems do a purge type deal, many feel as though it is there system is trying to clear out after the c diff.
Amanda

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:52 pm

thanks..i still have some cramps and seem to be going frequent but like i said its almost normal bm..so i think im going to go with the advice here and take it day by day and not start the flagyl cause thats the last thing i want to do is go on that if i dont have to..right now im trying to eat as much as i can even though when i eat still it hurts shortly after..im taking 2 culturelle a day

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”