Xifaxan/rifaximin

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Xifaxan/rifaximin

Postby klt03301 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I had to see a new GI b/c of my insurance. Have medicare but can't pay the co-pay for my other GI. She's a doc at Duke and I told her all about my GI problems. I'm considered a "hardship" case there and don't have to pay for my healthcare. I now get all my healthcare there. She wants me to take Xifaxan 200mg 4xday for 10 days. She thinks I have bacterial overgrowth. She used to use the "breath test" for it, but says it's no longer considered reliable. Too many false positive/negatives. I just can't live this way; never knowing what the next day holds w/multitude of symptoms.

I know many used it after vanco for C Diff. I told her I was terrified of taking another antibiotic and she could not promise me it wouldn't cause C Diff to come back. I'm 9 months post C Diff, but having terrible problems with "IBS". She said that a study has found that many w/IBS actually have bacterial overgrowth.

Please, any suggestions? She strongly urged me to take it. I'm scared to do it. I don't have D, gone the other way for quite some time, but terrible pain now and still the nausea.

She has scheduled a colonscopy for me and another endoscopy. Couldn't get those until 2/09. Just had endoscopy a month ago, but since old GI didn't take biopsies, she says she'd like to do it. She seems very thorough and very knowledgable.

Thanks, Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Forget it! I just read where it can CAUSE C Diff.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:00 pm

try going NATURAl not advice just my experience! See my post TMI

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks Vike. I read your response in TMI. Yep, I think the best plan is to go "natural". I'm literally so confused b/c after months of feeling well, I now feel like crap. I did stop taking 2 of my 3 probiotics around the same time this started, so all I can think now is to go get those again.

Thanks again...Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:50 pm

kit,
See FAQ-SIBO.
Don't let docs. upset you with all their "predictions." If I had everything they've told me they thought I had, I'd have been 6 ft. underground (actually it would be my ashes floating in the air) years ago.

Remember, docs. just "guesstimate." Also, they have to tell you about every possible diagnosis now because of all the med. mal. suits.

Your new GI sounds thorough. but do what you think best.

I've had IBS for years -- seldom have nausea, however, so I've been lucky there. (Never had problems before C. diff.) The busier I am, the less I suffer from IBS. When I was doing my enforced "resting" because of broken vertebra, IBS bothered me a lot & I had C., too - result of pain meds.

Just no rest for some of us!!! Not fair!! And I was always healthy before C. diff. except for allergies & sinus problems. I want my health (and my youth back -- remember "tight" skin?)!

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm

I would NOT take Rifaximin!! It gave me a relapse and it was horrible. I can CAUSE c.diff!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks, all! I DID NOT take it and I'm actually doing so much better!

Karen

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”