KEFIR

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TheVike
Long Time Contributor

KEFIR

Postby TheVike » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Alright I have researched and convinced...need to know the 5 W's! Where can I get it asap first and foremost?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 pm

I get kefir at my local grocery store. It's a big chain. However, when I was in West Virginia, the grocery store there didn't carry it. So I took Danactiva. Maybe a health food store will have it if a big store won't?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:53 pm

would BiLo have it? Is it ALLLLLLLLLL that teh writings say about it?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Any Whole Foods chain or health food store should carry it. It's delicious and nutritious :-)

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I get mine at Stop & Shop, Lifeway is the brand I believe, not sure if everyone has Stop & Shops though? Whole Foods also has it.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:48 pm

It's perhaps the only thing that could calm my belly when it was messed up - and quickly, too. I could never figure out how it did that - made you feel better so fast. It's not going to cure C-Diff but it sure helps, especially IBS. It has a great variety of probiotics in it (as you've probably read) and it is yummy. My favorite is peach and I get Lifeway, too, generally. Try it, won't hurt and I bet it helps.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:08 am

Publix grocery stores carry Kefir by Lifeway and also several other types of probiotic smoothies. I was impressed! My experience with Kefir was less than I had hoped for. It gave me great frequency and some nausea. Strange how we are all different!
Cindy

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am

Cindy,

People have a bacterial profile established very early in life. I'm reading up on how alterable it might be in adulthood - somebody recently repeeked my interest in the matter. Perhaps your body has an immune response to some of the bacteria in kefir because it's alien to your intestines. Maybe that's why some people have success with some probiotics while others don't and why some probiotics exacerbate conditions in some while helping others. Oh how I wish my grandmother were still alive. She was one of my caregivers at birth and she lived to the ripe old age of 98. I'm convinced it's because of her broad bacterial profile. I had many caregivers in my youth and fear all of the antibiotics I've taken have permanently eliminated some bacteria I may never get back unless I could reestablish those inherited as the legacy of my mixed European family that ate more old fashioned sauerkraut (the German and Polish side), cheeses and smelly foods (Italian and French side) than people tend to today. However, my boyfriend's flora seems to have done the job for the moment. I wonder about this idea of mixing as many bacterial strains as possible and introducing them so that whatever can stick around will.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:15 am

Uh, that's repeaked, not "repeeked". Pique, peek, peak - how does anybody learn English as a second language, anyway?

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Hmm I think I should try Kefir since you guys all say how good it is especially if it helps with IBS. But it really tastes good what exactly is it?

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:14 pm

jenkelly15 wrote:Hmm I think I should try Kefir since you guys all say how good it is especially if it helps with IBS. But it really tastes good what exactly is it?

It's basically a yogurt drink, like a Danactive, but it is thicker like a milk shake and comes in innumerable flavors (I prefer strawberry, plain is awful lol). It also has far more probiotics than Dan Active, my brand has 10 different strains.

Since I've had and been recovering from C-Diff, I haven't drank milk because I fear it would be to rich for me to process, but I loved milk more then anything, so I switched to Kefir and it's an excellent replacement. I have some every day.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:29 pm

I haven't had Kefir in quite some time, but while drinking it, I felt really good. That was over the summer. I stopped b/c it has so many calories in it and I had regained my weight and didn't want to add more. I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow and get some, as I've not been feeling well again. It's a 60 mile drive, but worth it. Like feelinghopeful and Trob wrote, it REALLY does calm the tummy almost immediately! It's also delicious :-)

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:27 pm

I m on it as well! Especially when you can actually grow the stuff so therefore you do not need to buy it just remake it right? I guess the question now is how MUCH to drink if it is soooo beneficial?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Vike: I drank 2-3 cups a day. I don't know how much others drank.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:39 pm

I just have it once per day because I have a DanActive in the morning.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”