KEFIR

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:24 am

4oz in the AM and same before bed worked for me but I'd say whenever you feel like it have a little. A little goes a long way.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

That's good to know it helps gain weight. I still haven't been able to gain my weight back don't know if I ever will be able to taking care of Connor. He is 25 pounds now, and I am BARELY 90, so carrying him around and just chasing him all day is keeping me from gaining I think. Anyway, I tried the Kefir a few days ago and it is very good. It hasn't had a negative effect on me, and my stomach hasn't been acting up too much, so not sure if it would help. I just wish my stop & shop had more flavors they only had 2 oh well better then nothing. Glad I know about the Kefir though from you guys everything I had read seems to really support it. Thanks for the helpful information.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 pm

WHy can t i just get the Kefir buds themselves to remake? This store bought mixed stuff still has alot of artificial flavoring SUGAR etc... too much this is wahy it could lead to becoming overweight I guess isn t there anywhere to get it 100 % natural and pasteurize it myself over and over?

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:25 pm

i have a question about kefir in my local stores we have the lifeway brand..my question is best to get the plain one or i can get any flavor i want?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:17 pm

It is up to you and your tummy. If you can handle the strawberry or blueberry or whatever and it doesn't bug your stomach then go for it. I have terrible IBS but I do fine with Blueberry. If your stomach gets upset by certain foods then try plain but if what you eat doesn't seem to affect it then you should be fine with flavored. It is trial and error.
Amanda

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 am

gOtta get the flavored one w the sugar cause the plain unsweetened one tastes absolutely AWFUUUULLLLLLLLLL!

iamloco724
New User

Postby iamloco724 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 pm

very confusing stuff alot of people on the board say sugar is bad and it "feeds" the c.diff yet others have success with this drink which can be high in sugar if u get flavored

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:27 pm

I was very careful about eating anything with sugar in it early on in my cdiff saga. When I started adding things with sugar to my diet, I did it slowly, and never had any problems. So I don't think sugar made any difference to my cdiff. I drank kefir and Ensure every day, and they both have sugar.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 am

Well I finally broke down and had the lady I hire to get my groceries to get me come Kefir since some people said it helps nausea. Told her to get peach, but all Lifeway had in store was strawberry and pomegranate, so got strawberry.

Drank only about 2 ounces a few hours ago just to try it and it was not yummy or delicious. I spit up (not thew up) 3 times right after. Ever since having C-Diff, I have noticed that any thick liquid like Ensure makes me spit up for some reason (drank malts or milkshakes all the time before). Had a terrible time drinking thick contrast for CT Scan or abdomen and pelvis recently.

Was hopeful because it has lots of calories & protein I need, but didn't help tummy at all - made me more nauseous, and stomach started rumbling which normally it doesn't. Brushed teeth, used mouthwash and then drank 2 cups of tea and still can't get awful taste out of my mouth, and feel more nauseous.

I've never liked yogurt (even frozen yogurt) my entire life, so perhaps that's why it did not agree with me. Glad to know though that it helps some of you.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”