Sorbitol intolerance - food intolerance H2 breath tests

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ClDif
Regular Contributor

Sorbitol intolerance - food intolerance H2 breath tests

Postby ClDif » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:18 am

Hi guys,

I have done a variety of so-called H2-breath tests lately because I am still dealing with proctitis and occasional stomach pain and bloating 6 months post c diff and ABs. Lactose and fructose were fine, but my results for sorbitol was "catastrophic" according to the doctor in charge. This means that for whichever reason, my small intestine (and maybe the large i. as well) can't break down sorbitol and the body (and I guess the lower bits of the colon) have to deal with the non-broken-down form which they don't seem to be enjoying ;-). This could well be the reason for many of my problems. I am trying to completely eliminate sorbitol from my diet now for a few weeks to see if that helps with the remaining inflammation. This definitely is a left-over of c diff, never had such troubles before.

Sorbitol is part of many kinds of fruit naturally (apples, plums, peaches, apricots, cherries, less in grapes, strawberries etc., dried fruits are especially bad), but sorbitol is also used as a surrogate for sugar, e.g. in chewing gum, in most toothpastes, in marshmallows etc.

These breath tests are not that common over here in Germany yet, not sure what the situation is like in the US, but they might be helpful for some people here nonetheless. I don't think I will have this problem forever, most probably my body will recover after giving it a break for a while... Might be worth asking your doctors if you have continuous problems after c diff...

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:43 pm

I also cannot handle sorbitol...although I more or less figured that out on my own. I also have to avoid mannitol. I discovered this when being lactose intolerant, Lactaid pills bothered more more....rather than helping.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 pm

Sorbitol and amnnitol and sucralose all cause diarrhea and should be avoided!!!! If i even inject a small amount..forgedabbouddit!!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:22 pm

This is interesting. I just bought a product called Plum Smart, it is supposed to benefit digestive health, and claims to have pre biotic benefits. Now reading this I dont know if I should even drink it ?!
Hoping for a cure.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:19 pm

I cant handle Sorbitol AT ALL. If I even chew gum! Funny thing about that is Sorbitol is not just in Suger Free gum it is in alot of regular gums, I for one didnt know that. One day I was going to the store and I poped a piece of gum in my mouth and lets just say that it is a good thing that the store is only about 5 minutes from my house and that they have a restroom..lol! I figured my sorbitol intolerance on my own.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi CIDif,

Just thought I'd tell you what my Duke GI told me. She thinks I have small intestine bacterial overgrowth, but told me the breath tests they used have been proven to give many false negatives and positives; therefore they no longer use them.

I will say that I've read here where many people can't handle soribtol after C-Diff. Fortunately, I'm not one of them. I never get D but do still have some GI issues. I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary and I seem to keep improving with time. I'm sure you will, too!

Wishing you well,

Karen

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 pm

My GI thinks I have SIBO as well. I had a breath test a couple of years ago and it was negative, but he said the same thing...the breath tests aren't reliable.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:46 pm

It doesn't look like I have "classic" SIBO, but there definitely is some kind of severe dysbiosis going on... I have passed my 1 year anniversary as well just recently and I had quite a good time for quite some time in the past half year. Just last week the pain got quite bad again and my stomach is majorly bloated. It'll just take time I figure. It's annoying, but what can you do...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”