What can I take now after C-DIF ? help

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ginger
New User

What can I take now after C-DIF ? help

Postby Ginger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum, I have a big question, in March I went on omnicef for a sinus infection,, 4 days kater I went to the ER stool was checked, c_dif,,,I was shocked,,now if I get bronchitis or a sinus infection what do I do???? i WAS SO SICK FOR 2 WEEKS, AND IT TOOK ONE MONTH BEFORE i FELT NORMAL AGAIN, i HAD YUCKY STOOL ,NAUSEA ,CRAMPS, I wore depends for one week..it was disgusting!!! Now I am afraid to take anything if I get sick,, what is the answer, is a Z-PAK going to do this as well,,,, thanks, Ginger
ginger beane

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Ginger,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you. I'm glad that you recovered from cdiff.

It is a very difficult and scary situation for any of us if we ever need an antibiotic again. See the FAQ section under Antibiotics, to find a list of those that are more or less likely to cause cdiff. I carry that list in my purse, in case I am out of town and get sick. Some folks here have been okay after taking a Z-pak, while others got cdiff. Any antibiotic can cause cdiff. If you need an antibiotic, you want it to be as narrow-spectrum as possible. The broad-spectrum ones are most likely to give us cdiff again. Talk to your doc about it, if you ever need one.

Ginger
New User

Postby Ginger » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:18 am

Nancy,
Got it now,,,, thanks for your reply, I feel like a bit of a complainer after reading how some have continuous problems with c-dif, but thats what I am afraid of for myself,, I read the article and it was very informative. I don't know about others but after experiencing that full week of diareah with nausea and dry heaves and wearing depends, the whole scenario was hard to get out of my mind , especially the odor,I actually threw out anything I wore as in flannel pants etc. as I couldn't stand the thought of any bacteria being anywhere around the house. Mainly I was in the bathroom and cleaning with clorox immediately, and I was suppose to be on a plane to Arizona I guess at first I blamed my doctor as I asked for a Z-PAK, but he said omnicef works for sinus infections, but blaming doesn't do anything ...just getting over the episode is key..so for all who suffer from this nasty thing I hope you all get through it and can move forward!!! Ginger
ginger beane

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Ginger,
Count yourself lucky. Some have C. diff. (& its wonderful symptoms) for months & even years. Cindy is on her 6th or 7th year. My first episode lasted for 4 years. (We both had extenuating circumstances, however.)

You are "right on" to be concerned about taking an antibiotic again. Some can; some can't -- no way of knowing.

After my first bout of C. diff., I was OK for 2 years (except for IBS). Then, however, I developed pneumonia & was hospitalized with it. The pulmo. insisted I take Levaquin. I was also on Vanco. (as a preventative) & I took probiotics to the hospital with me. Still developed C. diff.! (I was "cured" both times by Dr. Mark Allen (See Doctors - Dr. Allen, KC).

About l8 months ago, I developed pneumonia again. (I've had the pneumovax shot, but it doesn't protect against all types.) The pulmo wanted me to take Avalox. I refused (it's in the same family as Levaquin) & asked for a Z-pak. I didn't develop C. diff.; however, as Nancy said, many have. There are few antibiotics that aren't implicated (even Flagyl on occasion), but a Z-pak is only taken orally for 5 days altho. it "stays in your system for another 5). No one was more surprised than I was.

See FAQ-Infections. It contains info. on alternatives to medication.

I well understand your hesitation to take an antibiotic again. We all feel that way. Just be sure you really need one through tests, etc. Sometimes, however, there is no way to test & that's when you & your doc. need to make an informative "guess."

Ginger
New User

antibiotics

Postby Ginger » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Bobbie,
I am glad I found this site, no one I know ever heard of this happening from antibiotics. 3 days ago I was swimming and got bit by a fly of somekind on the middle toe and just below it on top. My foot swelled up and it still bothered me so I went to my internist,( he ordered the Flagyl when I got C-DIF,),HE SAID HE HESITATES TO GIVE ME A STEROID AND HAS ME ON JUST BENYDRL PILLS. I have always had a Z-Pak when necessary, but 3 months ago he gave me the omnicef, I even asked why not the Z-PAK,,he said its used to much...well 4 days later I was sicker than a dog, and the emotional part is hard to deal with, you feel like a human septic tank..I am serious. The flagyl made me nauseated as well. Finally after 14 days of flagly it worked...got better but it took time.Thank you for your input, its a lonely feeling to have c-dif, no one can understand how it feels unless they have experienced it themselves..my husband has never seen me so sick, I just wanted to be left alone, didn't eat, just drank tons of liquid. lost 10 pounds..I will do whatever it takes to keep THE BEAST AWAY!!!!!! PRAYERS FOR ALL C-DIF SUFFERS... Ginger
ginger beane

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:10 am

Ginger,
My younger son had C. diff. in l979 when he was 4 yrs. old. No one (including most docs.) had heard of it. He almost died & was one of the lst (& the youngest) people ever put on oral Vanco. (It used to be strictly an IV antibiotic.) My son had C. diff. again about 6 yrs. later. I had C. diff. twice in l993-l997 & again in l999. After all these years, there was still little info. about it. My husband traveled & I had little support. My wonderful mother came & stayed with me for awhile & I had a couple of friends who were great. The ped. GI saved my son's life -- his ped. said, "Give me a couple more days. " As a mother, I felt (not knew - but "felt") he didn't have a couple more days so contacted the ped. GI. The ped. (my kids' doc. for over 12 yrs.) dropped my kids as patients.

Talk about feeling lonely & terrified! Been there, done that. It can be one nasty disease. Educate others about it. Be careful about taking antibiotics again.

Ginger
New User

terrified

Postby Ginger » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Bobbie,
I am right with you on the educating people about it,,,just as I am with bladder cancer, I am on the Bladder Cancer web cafe, my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 T-2 one year ago July 3rd. He is 100 percnet now do to alot of caregiving and support, and most of all prayers, no metastisis so we are lucky, clean path report.. check ups every 6 months, at the CLEVELAND CLINIC. I have related my story to those who will listen and want to be informed...I am sorry your little son had this dreadful thing, no child should be subject to this, its not for children.And to I have compassion for you as a mom, I am sure you were terrified as well...Ginger
ginger beane

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Sounds as though you've had more than your share of problems. Glad your husband is doing well.

Ginger
New User

Postby Ginger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Bobbie,

Yes, we have had one bad year 2007, but we are full steam ahead with 2008, Gene recovered from his bladder cancer, has a new bladder, and is good as new, Thanks to the wonderful Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic. Like with C-dif, I just move forward and try to avoid what may give it to me again,,,sOMETIMES i STILL CAN'T BELIEVE i HAD IT. wHAT A nitemare it is!!!!! Thanks Bobbie,,,,, Ginger
ginger beane

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”