DanActive study shows promise-

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
impatient1
New User

DanActive study shows promise-

Postby impatient1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:13 pm

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/136 ... index.html

It's really interesting and encouring. Patients on antibiotics in the hospital drank 1 Dan Active a day, while the control group didn't.

No Dan Active patients developed C Diff, while 17% of the control group did.

Also, it was even more effective in preventing diarrhea.

I think this sounds great. My mom has C Diff, and my daughter is currently on Omnicef, so I have started her drinking these just in case.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Thank you for posting this story. I am going to copy it and put it in "Media Reports".

On another note I drank "DanActive" when I had Cdiff and I do belive that it helped. I continued to drink it for a while after Cdiff. I drank so much of it that I can now no longer stand the site of it..lol!

Thanks Again! :o)
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Unfortunately hospitals in the U.S. are not paying much attention to any of this information. I was recently in the hospital on antibiotics after surgery and could not get them to add yogurt to my meals, no matter how many different ways I asked. I finally sent my husband to a market across the street to buy my own yogurt. We kept them in a small styrofoam cooler next to my bed and I ate at least two a day. I have been home for over two weeks, still eating yogurt and taking Florastor, and so far no signs of a CDiff relapse. But the hospital was no help at all.

impatient1
New User

Postby impatient1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01 pm

I know Mary. The ER has been awful and uninformed with my mom.

It's ridiculous really. I feel for the people with no access to any info about C Diff.

Thanks for reposting this Heather. I thought it was an awesome article.

impatient1
New User

Postby impatient1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Heather, I forgot to ask. How man DanActives did you drink a day?

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:23 pm

I drank 1 to 2 a day when I was on Vanco. I should have mentioned that I started drinking it after I relapesd on Flagyl and my Dr put me on Vanco. I really hope that your mom is doing ok, it really wouldnt hurt to start her on it either (if she can). I am sure that your daughter will be ok, it is really good that you are being proactive while she is on the antibiotics.

Let us know how your mom is doing.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 pm

been on it a year it is my bre3akfast and i rotate with the D Active yogurt "light: andi am convinced it help ed me as well although a recent blood test confirmed now I have h pylori..and i ll be doing man uka honey 3x a day to rid my gut of it!!!! Testimonials has proven this too kills staf strep who knows about c diff tho and of course kill h pylori which i am guessing is casuing me sever gerd chest pains for ct scan and steesss test proved negative in that heart ok????????

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:11 am

Vike- When I was having chest pains all the time and after all the stupid test were run they diagnosed it as anxiety........WHO ME? Why in the world would I have anxiety--yeah right! Well they must have been right because they prescribed me xanax to take when I have those spells and it takes it right away. Sometimes they do know something! HA!
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:13 am

Cindy,
Took blood the other day and said possible h pylori but i have been having dull consistent which led to sharp pains in the chest??? I do smoke moderately stopped drinking pretty moderately after 20 years a year and a half ago streess test was abnormal did a coronary CT scan w contrast heart was fine but still don t know what is goin on? I am cureently hoooked up to a "king of hearts esxpress" monitor an event monitor to record ecg when I have a bad pain nothing yet.... Xanax does frankly help but have been on it for years and doc wants me offff just started lexipro!????? Don t know what is up but h pylori looking up symptoms and i still fear it there is soemtning wrong with my blood vessels arteries etc.... Endoscopy Mon the 16ht IF I can make it till then?

impatient1
New User

Postby impatient1 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:52 am

I have chest pains off and on, and for me I figured out it was muscular. If you're lifting stuff or pushing/pulling stuff, it can definitely strain your chest muscles causes pains. Just a possibility.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 am

Anxiety can also cause chest pains, but best to "check it out."

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”