Well, Some Good New At Last.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Well, Some Good New At Last.

Postby Jenny » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:05 am

Saw my OB yesterday and she believes the cyst is a gartners cyst and that it is benign :) We are just going to watch and wait, as long as there are no big changes she has agreed to do the outpatient surgery with no antibiotics in a few months. She wants all my other issues resolved first and my strength back up.

Now I feel like counting the days with no ab's, okay here goes, 1. LOL, I finished the Vanco 2 weeks ago and the rifaximin yesterday am. And so the obsessing will probably begin, but with the kids out of school as of tomorrow at noon hopefully I will be too busy.

I still don't have the results of my chest x-ray yet but I am waiting on a call back from a faculty member at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. According to the internet he is one of the few Dr's in Texas who perform the Quantiferon TB Gold Test. I need this to prove If I do / do not have Latent TB before I start enbrel or any other drug. This test does not look for the same thing as the skin test which looks for components of the BCG which I had as a child. Sounds really good and is recently (3yrs ago) approved by the FDA and CDC. Sounds really promising. They will have to drag me kicking and screaming before I start 9 months of antibiotics for something I may not have.

They are scared I think because of all of the places I have lived : Nigeria, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Oman, and of course the UK which is so full of immigrants now too.

I called my old GP in the UK the other day. I haven't seen him in 15yrs. He remembered me and we chatted about my health issues. He said he is seeing a lot of c diff now and actually apologised that he may have contributed to my c diff re reckless prescribing of ab's. That's not how I remember him at all. He was always advising to just gargle with soluble asprin, irrigate with saline. He was the one who made me wary of ab's in the first place. Lot of good that did me though. Oh well there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for me. Just on a slow train :)

Hope you all get where you need to go soon.

Take Care

Jenny

P.S. Just as I was getting to ready to send this the lab called and they will do the QFT test, YAHOO!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Good news, Jenny. "Hang in there."

The UK is indeed loaded with C. diff. See Discussion - UK Support Site. The woman who started the site (her grandmother died of C. diff.) has accomplished a lot toward demanding better hygiene in the hospitals. Her group even marched on Parliament!

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:36 pm

glad to hear its benign Jenny...best of luck in your healing.

That is excellent news Roy - Im certainly hoping the international media covers the event. My mother actually called me last week and was so excited - "its on the news its on the news!!". Apparently they actually did a segment on C Diff on her local news - could it be its FINALLY going to get well-deserved attention in the states too? Lets all hope so....and personally, if I see one more politician on my tv I just may toss a shoe at the screen..lol.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Roy, That is wonderful news. Hope I can see it here in the US.

Marscan, I live in Texas and it was on the news here too. I missed it but one of my neighbors caught it on the news. Don't know if it was local or national, but he asked his wife, isn't that what Jenny had? So for a guy to remember something in passing and have it reafirmed by the news, is great. Let's just hope the word spreads faster than c diff, what a horrible disease.

Bobbie, Yep things are finally turning around, knock on wood. I had the test done a couple of hours ago. Well worth the 3hrs driving for a 5 minute blood draw. They are going to e-mail me the results and my dr. so I won't have to wait for them to get back to me. Hopefully I should know Friday pm or Monday am. They won't get me on 9 months of ab's without a fight. Hopefully this will be an education for my RA and ID Dr ( of course assuming that I am negative). No matter what you just have to try and plead your own case no one else will. I'm sure I have learned that from you somewhere in all your posts.

Thanks again,

Jenny

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”