Have my lab working on tests

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
PatHoover
Regular User

Have my lab working on tests

Postby PatHoover » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi everyone.....I called our lab today to find out if they test for toxin A & B. They only are able to test for toxin A. If toxin B is needed it has to be sent into Lincoln to a lab there. Of course then I would have to wait for the results and then my pharmasists has to order it with delivery the next business day. I asked if toxin A was possitive then treatment would start. As it did this time and last year.....but what if toxin A is neg. does that mean toxin B is also neg? She said she was not sure. Sooooo she is going to call the Lincoln lab to find out and to find out what the return time is on the results. Now to wait and see what they say........our lab is going to start testing for both in the future. The sensitivity was like 78% and the specificity is 90+%. I sure got them going...lol Last year when it came back neg. I did not know they only tested for toxin A.
smile...it is contageous

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39 pm

my pcp called back. She said that if toxin A is negative so is toxin B. Anyone know this for sure? Not that I don't believe her just wondering what your GI's have to say. Thanks
smile...it is contageous

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Take a look at Tests in the FAQ section (the second page of 3). It says that there are cdiff strains that are negative for Toxin A and positive for Toxin B. So I think that your pcp is incorrect.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 am

I agree with Nancy, this is not correct... Some strains recently detected only produce toxin B.

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I asked my pcp. She said that checking for toxin B is only done in rare cases or cases of those who have been traveling out of the country or camping etc. where the water supply is not as good. That is why they only test for toxin A. BTW....my stool test came back today and it is negative for c. diff.........hip hip horaaaaa Now to see if I relapse again........
smile...it is contageous

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Pat,

That's great news. Hope you can find a new balance for Probiotics that agree with you. You are doing great, Keep it up:)

Jenny

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”