Thrush In Esophagus

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
raj138
New User

Thrush In Esophagus

Postby raj138 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 pm

I was diagnosed with Cdiff in April 2008 and have been through a couple of rounds of Flagyl and Vancomycin. I developed oral thrush and never really got rid of it. I am currently on Vancomycin for a month after my recent relapse, and I think I have developed thrush in the Esophagus. I am having trouble swallowing and having pain down my chest. Tommrow I have an endoscopy to see how bad it is. I am 26 / M , and was relativly healthy before getting this. I currently started difuclan a few days ago. I am concenred that since I am on vancomycin, I will not be able to get rid of the thrush. Im confused on what to do. Has anyone dealt with thrush in the esophagus while on Vanco?

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi raj138,

diflucan is a powerful med. I you can tolerate it, it is likely that it will get rid od the thrush sooner or later if that is indeed what it is. How much longer are you on Vanco for? It's probably more efficient to get on Diflucan once off the Vanco, but obviously, if you are in pain now, I can see why you are not waiting...

Will a swab be done during the endoscopy?

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:52 pm

I am on Vanco for another two weeks, then taper / pulse for who knows how long due to my recent relpase. I am sure a swab will be done. I just started the diflucan as I did not want the thrush to spread if indeed it was growing in my esophagus.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Maybe ask for that swish and swallow stuff. I dont know what it is called but your doctor should know. My aunt always had that when she was going thru chemo it helped then she stayed on it for prevention.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:28 pm

raj138,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Most recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. Evidently, you are of of the unlucky 20%. (So was I & most of the frequent posters on the site.)

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

Many complain of yeast infections while on Flagyl or Vanco. Be sure & ask your GI when you have your endo. Also, check with your pharmacist. See FAQ-Anti-Fungal Medications (Yeast Infections).

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Bobbie,

I will make sure to post in the correct place next time. I got C-diff from an oral surgeon who perscribed clindomycin for an oral infection... By the way I have been on this site for the past month, and think you have done a great job on this site.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:21 pm

raj138,

I once had similar symptoms: burning and pain in my chest and trouble swallowing. My Gastroenterologist was pretty sure it was a bad case of acid reflux (GERD?) and wanted to do an endoscopy. But then I got CDIff and had to make some drastic diet changes. Guess what? My acid reflux symptoms disappeared, including the trouble swallowing! My new diet is mostly lots of yogurt and very little red meat, greasy foods, or dairy. Ask your doctor if it could be acid reflux and if a change in diet might help. It worked for me!
Good luck!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:55 pm

I have had severe thrush down in my esophagus and my throat! My neck swelled up and killed me too (glands). They treated me with 14 days of diflucan which I think was a bit of overkill but it got rid of it. I have since continued to be troubled with thrush occasionally but never has it gone back into my esophagus. It is truly scary as you feel like your air supply is being cut off. Diflucan will totally rid you of it and I do not understand why they don't go ahead and give it to you NOW. I know you think you will never be rid of it.......but you will. Hang in there!
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:12 am

raj138,
Clindamycin was the lst antibiotic implicated in C. diff.

I've known about C. diff. since l979 when my youngest son had it. He had it again about 6 yrs. later. I never thought I would have it. In my late 40's, I started getting sinus infections -- one or two a year, & antibiotics always "cured" them. In March of l993, my allergist (a reputable, kind doctor my son & I had seen for l3 years) prescribed Vantin (then a "new" antibiotic) for a sinus infection. Now only did it not cure my sinus infection, but I developed C. diff. & then pneumonia, a UTI, continued sinusitits & was hospitalized. I had C. diff. for 4 yrs. (Don't panic - extenuating circumstances.) I developed C. diff. again 2 yrs. later after another bout of pneumonia & Levaquin.

Never say never!

I've had oral infections, too, and oral surgery back in the days when they slit your gums open & you wore "packing." The periodondist was excellent & told me, "I've done all Ican. Now it's up to you." I keep my teeth super clean. Although I eat out a lot, I carry a "clean teeth" kit in my purse (dental floss, "throwaway" toothpicks, mouthwash) & after I eat, I use it. If I wait at all, I'll get an infection. At home, I brush, floss, & use a water pik.

Peridex is an antibiotic mouthwash that has little absorption. I don't know if it would work for severe oral infections or not. Ask your dentist or periodonidist. I assume you are getting a new dentist.

Welcome to the site. Lots of us here wish we'd never heard of C. diff., but it's become almost an epidemic.

Thanks for the thanks. It's always appreciated. You posted in the right place. Gen. Discusson & Questions are both appropriate.

Do be careful about antibiotics in the future (altho. sometimes they are necessary). Let's hope this round of Vanco. "does it" for you. Good luck tomorrow.

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:43 pm

Apparantly the difficulty swallowing, chest pain, lost of appitite was related to gastritis and duodentis. Basically inflamation everywhere. I was told to discontinue diflucan and take acid reducing medication (omeprazlole).... So now i can use florestor along with vancomycin.

I guess that is somewhat good news despite the gastritis.

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Yes apparantly it is a PPI, and now i started to read about PPIs and consequences of taking them... another dilemma as I am still trying to fight C-diff-- right now im on the plan of vacomycin 30 days then to start tapering.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:44 pm

raj138,
I've had C. diff. twice & wasn't on a PPI either time. Since having C. diff., I've been prone to pneumonia (plus other things) & the last time I had it, I took a Z-pak (altho. it wasn't my doc's choice). No one was more surprised than I was when I didn't get C. diff. I was on a PPI for acid reflux & a hiatal hernia at the time & have been for several years. Go figure! (See Media Reports for info. on PPI's).

One illness seems to breed others & a large ratio of meds. are given to counteract the side effects of other meds. Some, however, go through C. diff. without a problem & are able to take antibiotics again. Again, go figure!

All we can do is be as well informed as possible, "live life to the fullest," & hope for the best.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”