c-diff & surgery

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Renee
New User

c-diff & surgery

Postby Renee » Sat May 31, 2008 5:02 pm

A month ago, my brother-in-law had a seizure, then diagnosed with brain cancer & had surgery for the tumor. He was home a couple of days & developed severe diarrhea. Four days later we rushed him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with severe colitis (c-diff). To save his life, they had to remove his entire colon. (By the way, he was not immediately put in isolation.) He died yesterday. The nurse in the ICU mentioned c-diff, sepsis, & VRE (vancomycin resistant enterococcus). They figure he died from a blood clot. I feel the brain tumor may not have been preventable, but the other things were.

I had c-diff last summer. He was a prayer warrier for me. He will be sorely missed.
Renee
Renee

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Renee,
Our consolations on your brother in law's death. What a horrible experience for all of you.

His next of kin should have access to his records. I would make some phone calls -- expecially to the Director of Infection Control & the CEO of the hospital.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:45 am

Im so sorry for your loss Renee, and second Bobbie's advice on accessing the medical records etc. My aunt was hospitalized with end-stage multiple myeloma a few years back - she couldnt continue her chemo treatments after developing C Diff. We found out much later that the C Diff was actually listed as the "cause of death".

Again, my condolences on your loss.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:51 pm

so very sorry Renee my prayers thoughts are with you and family!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Yes, chemo. can occasionally cause C. diff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”