down in the dumps today

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
PatHoover
Regular User

down in the dumps today

Postby PatHoover » Mon May 26, 2008 9:04 am

I am so depressed today. My insurance comp. Humana says they will not pay for the vanco the next time around. Unless it is hazardous to my health if I don't get it. I don't know what else would be if not this. I am praying that this first round kills it out and that working with my GI will get my system turned around so it can fight it when I come in contact with it again. I also have Medicaid for my second insurance but if Humana does not pay neither will they. What a mess. There is no way I can pay for this myself. I am on disability so I cannot work. Now what? Sorry to have a pitty party........
smile...it is contageous

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Mon May 26, 2008 10:16 am

Hi PatHoover, sorry you are feeling so low today. But what other options would there be for your health if the C Diff comes back and metronidazole doesn't help? Am not familiar with your medical history, but have you been on Flagyl? If you have proven C Diff and flagy is not helping, isn't that enough proof and enough of a threat to your health? It's not like there any many other cheaper alternatives...Especially if your doctor put this in writing and urgently advised on you taking nothing but Vanco? Am not from the US so am not familiar with the way the insurance system works over there, but my experience is that with good preparation and persistance one usually gets further...
Good luck for you - it's all going to work out one way or another! Hopefully you feel better soon!

PatHoover
Regular User

hello cidiff

Postby PatHoover » Mon May 26, 2008 12:07 pm

I started out on Flagyl. Took it for 4 or 5 days and didn't seem to help. I have noticed a good start to change now. Last time I had it last year I had to take vanco twice 14 days each time. The Flagyl did not work well then either after being on it for 12 days. yes my stool test came back possitive for c. diff. They then started this program.

Thank you
smile...it is contageous

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 pm

cdiff can be life threatening see if your doctor will make them see that. I thought medicaid covered everything for prescriptions? I just cant believe some insurance companies. I would of quit paying on mine if it did not cover. My bcbs didnt ask any questions. Just keep on them, and hopefully you wont need to be on it very long.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 26, 2008 2:14 pm

PatHoover,
Check out FAQ-Aid in Obtaining Medications

Read all the way to almost the end. Viropharma (manfucturers of Vancocin) have a patience assistance program with a toll # to call.

PatHoover
Regular User

insurance

Postby PatHoover » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Humana (Medicare) pays first then Medicade. If Medicare does not pay then neither will Medicad. That is just the way it goes. I am sure my pcp and GI will make sure I am covered with the medications. When I was on just Medicad they paid for everything. I am going to go down and talk to them about all of this.

When you all went off the first round how long did you have to wait to get the stool test done to find out if it is gone or not?

Thank you everyone for all your help........
smile...it is contageous

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:34 pm

If your insuranace won't pay there is a way to dramatically reduce your Vanco cost if your Doctor will agree. Search for the post "How much did you pay for your Vanco ?". All of the info is there. If you can't find it, pm me and I'll give it to you.

Fire

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 am

When you are in dire need of meds and no way to get them there are programs that doctors can get for you.........they do not like to because it is a lot of trouble but they can!
Cindy

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 am

I called my insurance company and they told me my doctor did not send them what they needed to know. Once they get the correct report they will review it and probably ok my Januvia. I will get the information they need and have my dr. fill out the papers and get it sent off. Of course this is her day off....go figure!

Thanks everyone for your help and support.....
smile...it is contageous

jill wirfs
New User

liguid vanco

Postby jill wirfs » Thu May 29, 2008 5:00 pm

My daugther had cdiff the insurance co. won't pay for the pills. But if you can find a pharmacy that compounds medication they can compound the IV vanco to an oral medication. IT is 125mg/5ml is equal to one pill and the price is extremely lower. The price for pill type of vanco for 6 weeks was 1000 dollars and the oral liquid was 200 dollars. I know this is not cheap but better than 1000 dollars.
jill

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Can an insurance company refuse to pay for medicine when you could die without it? I wouldn't think so with all the paperwork in place to support your claim. I would APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL
Cindy

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Fri May 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I will be appealing if I test possitive. I think however, that they will probably pay as obveous Flagyl does not work for me. The problem is while we wait for their ok the infection gets worse.

I just read that the kitchen sink is worse for bacteria then our toilets are. What do you use to sanitise yours? I am using ajax with bleach. I disinfect my toilet/sink 2x day in the bathroom. I use Clorox Clean-Up with bleach. Spray it on and wait 30 sec or so then wipe off. I spray it into my toilet then flush. I hope this is good enough????
smile...it is contageous

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”