Prilosec, Prevecid, nexium

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
PatHoover
Regular User

Prilosec, Prevecid, nexium

Postby PatHoover » Sun May 25, 2008 2:31 pm

I have another question. I take Prilosec every morning for GERD. My GI said I make too much stomach acid so it will not cause any other problems. I asked him if taking it would cause me to get H. Pylori (sp). He said no. I was wondering however, can it cause me to get c. diff? I was thinking..imagine that....if I do not have enough acid to kill it out when using this med every day???

It takes way too long to get into see these dr.s they are so busy. I cannot see mine till July 8th but I am on his cancelation list....

Thank you
smile...it is contageous

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun May 25, 2008 2:43 pm

There are some doctors now saying that there is reason to believe that PPI's allow the bacteria to thrive in our systems. However, if you have GERD as bad as I do I have to take them.
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun May 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Ditto her I have been aon all three and now take ONE Aciphex each day this has been the norm for me for about 12 years now! Most of my Heartburn I know is from smoking and drinking however they do work when I had the Diff I stopped taking them for about 3-4 months didn t need em for no food I was eating! Now back on I really don t think the effect us one way or another really????

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun May 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Vike- For me the Gerd is so bad if I do not take them that I wake up choking and sometimes develop pneumonia. I have no choice but to take them or end up taking another antibiotic for pneumonia which would have the potential to kill me! GEEZ what a life! Now my brain! WOW whats next? I hate to even think about it.
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 25, 2008 11:43 pm

PatHoover,
One study in particular (done in the UK - see Media Reports) linked PPI's to C. diff. I believe there is now some additional info. that confirms it.

However, there is no drug w/o a side effect. I've had C. diff. twice after bouts with pneumonia. I wasn't on an PPI either time. About six years ago (after a stressful summer when my mother broke her hip in MT & I was there 10 wks. & sold her house, car, & a lot of "stuff," I moved her to KC), I developed acid reflux. An endoscopy showed I also have a hiatal hernia. I take one Aciphex every morning & often have to take Mylanta in the middle of the night. I am not as careful about my diet as I should be but do sleep with the head of my bed propped. (See FAQ-Acid Reflux.)

I had to take an antibiotic for pneumonia several l8 mo. ago. I didn't develop C. diff. Go figure!

Point of story: no one really knows the correlation. Do the best you can & try not to worry. We do have to take some meds. even if we would prefer not to do so. I decided on "quality" rather than "quantity" of life years ago, but then I am older & my children are grown.

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Thu May 29, 2008 10:29 am

Do you know of any test they can do to see just how much stomach acid we actually have? What a breakthrough that would be. Some of us may not need to have as much for our acid problems. I needed more then the OTC meds but that has been quite a while ago. I don't know if I still need to have Prilosec now since the reports say when we get older our stomach acid reduces naturally. I am only 59 so I was just wondering. If it is not my GERD it is my IBS......what a life is right. Do you think the Aciphex work better then the other three?
smile...it is contageous

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”