Just got back from the ID Dr and he has given me rifaximin.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Just got back from the ID Dr and he has given me rifaximin.

Postby Jenny » Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm

The Dr seemed very happy with my progress on the vanco as I am too. He has given me a script for Rifaximin for 14 days and has said the choice as to start probiotics again or not is up to me. It won't do any harm at this point, just as long as they don't make me uncomfortable. He still takes the stand that all medicines can contribute to c diff problems. There are very few oral medications that do not change your gut flora. He has given me a copy of a letter he has sent to my regular physican and my Rheumatologist re the treatment etc. and ofcourse advised me to stay away from ab's and if absolutely necessary stick with penicillin.

I have to discuss options and side effects of my RA drugs with my own dr though he did mention humira or remicade. What a scary thought. I believe cindy said once these have cancer risks involved, and I also would think they would still affect gut flora. Does anyone know for sure?

I mentioned to him the lump beneath my cervix and the MRI on Saturday. He did not examine me thank goodness, (didn't want to step on my OB's toes). A cyst or maybe a blocked Gartners duct is most probable and removable but unlikely without ab's:( The environment is perfect for bacteria to grow. The other option I am trying very hard not to think about. I never thought that I would be hoping for an outcome that includes ab's. I do not say that lightly!!

Well one step at a time, one day at a time, just wishing it would go a bit faster. The MRI is Saturday am and then I have to follow up with my OB one week later. She does not work Fridays and the next available appointment would be a week on Tuesday. I am thinking about seeing the Physicians assistant, atleast I can see her on the Friday. What would you do?

Jenny

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Jenny,
Some have good luck with PA's atho. I didn't. You might try a visit to see what you think.

I don't think ALL meds. alter the gut flora, but them I'm not a doc. PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) have been linked. I'm on one & surved a Z-pak the last time I had pneumonia -- no C. diff. The two times I had C. diff. I was not on a PPI.

Do check humira or remicade out online on a good medical website: ( www.mayoclinic.com or www.Medscape.com) are two, & ask your local pharmacist.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 am

Jenny:

Just an idea, but when I had my neck done, The surgeon used vanco as the antibiotic and was quite comfortable using it. You might want to run that by your Doctor doing the proceedure.

Fire

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”