Just Diagnosed

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Tom
Brand New Poster

Just Diagnosed

Postby Tom » Sat May 17, 2008 7:37 am

Back in March of this year my Dr prescribed an anti-biotic for a sinus infection. 10 days after the dosage was completed I was having severe diaherra He put me on Flagyl without doing a stool test. I was fine until 5 days after the last dose was taken. Then the symptoms were back. After that I went to see a G.I. who did a stool test and it came back posititive for c-diff. He put me on Vancomycin which worked while I was on it but 7 days after the last dose it is back again. Today is day 8. He is having me take another stool test and if it is positive I go back on the Vancomycin. Does this ever end?

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 am

Hi Tom...and welcome. You'll find alot of support here - and many many similar cases of Flagyl failing. It does end eventually for most of us- and everyone seems to have a different med "cocktail" that knocks it down. Read the success stories, case histories, FAQs etc - they always helped me get thru this. Also, you may want to talk to your doc about a slow "taper" if he in fact puts you back on the vanco - alot of us were successful with it (just my two cents worth).

Best of luck to you in your healing.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Tom,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Yes, this ends. They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. You will too. It just takes longer for some of us. Check out the Ten Commandments of Surviving Cdiff in the FAQ section. Pulsing vanco was what finally worked for me.

We recommend that you wait 10 - 14 days to do a stool test, after finishing Flagyl or vanco, to lower your chances of getting a false negative test result. There are a lot of false negative results for cdiff. I had a false negative after 15 days, but during another relapse had a positive after 6 days. Go figure. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Tom
Brand New Poster

Postby Tom » Sun May 18, 2008 8:14 am

Thank you for your support and encouragement. It makes me feel better that there is hope of recovery from this.

Tom
Brand New Poster

Postby Tom » Wed May 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Test results came back yesterday. The C-diff is back. 2 weeks of Vanco 4 times a day then 2 weeks of Vanco 2 times a day. Hope it works this time.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Wed May 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi Tom,
Don't be discouraged. Most people on this site have had several courses of antibiotics, Flagyl, Vanco and others to control the bad D. Myself included. I just posted a success story :-) so yes, it does go away!
Hang in there!
Karien

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”