Too Much Probiotic?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Gee
New User

Too Much Probiotic?

Postby Gee » Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 pm

hello,
It's one month after my colonoscopy (just some inflammation) and I felt like I was getting over this - now this past week I feel like I backtracked. I wonder if I'm taking too much probiotic? I take one tab of Ultimate Flora/Critical Care (the 50 billion kind) nightly and it seemed to be doing the trick, but then Saturday I felt lousy and went home sick from work and slept all day but was better on Sunday. I felt crummy again Monday so I went out and bought Florastor from Walgreens to switch it up. I still take the Ultimate Flora each night as well.

I've been a bit better each day since Saturday but not by much. The 'feelin lousy' part is mainly in the mornings from 7-11am when I'm getting my BMs out of the way, which is mainly a loose stool thing down there (no D).

After my scope I was almost feeling pre CDIFF - I started drinking a bit of coffee and tea and some wheat beer on my off work days - Before this week I had been able to return to some of my pre CDiff activities without many problems except exhaustion.

I wonder if I am taking too strong a probiotic and maybe should tone it down. I haven't changed my diet much since going bland just adding a few things here and there. I guess what I mean is has anyone found that to get over the hump you jumped off probiotics and were able to get over? I wonder if they are making my stools loose and not back to normal and if I take less they'll bulk up down there? hope that's not TMI.

Thanks for all your info...You guys are awesome!

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu May 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Gee...just tossing out my two cents worth. Keep in mind everyone responds differently to probies, and my case of C Diff, however horrid, was not nearly as severe as some on the site. Always talk to your doc.

That being said - yes, I jumped off the probies - was only taking the Florastor (didnt even taper them) and noticed a huge difference in the errr "appearance". For a few months after my bout, I still got smacked down with the fatigue, flu-like feelings and blurry-eyed thing - generally during hormone week. It gradually got much better, but came and went for some time. Best of luck to you in your healing.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu May 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Mornings have always been my worst time of the day. However, I also can not tolerate most of the probiotics without great frequency and stomach discomfort. Primadolphilus reuteri is the ONLY probiotic my body can tolerate without problem. So, YES you could be experiencing too much probiotic. When I took the other it took about a week to build up and then I got horrible frequency and thought I was relapsing and then it took 4-5 days to get rid of the probiotics entirely out of my system and it to settle down. All people are different. You just have to experiment and find out your tolerances.
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”