Relapse question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Barbara
New User

Relapse question

Postby Barbara » Tue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi, all,

My dad had a relapse and is doing quite well now on Vanco. He's on day 4 of a 21 day regiman.

He's in a rehab center and has a now roommate -- also with c-diff. They share a bathroom, though I think his roommate needs to use the commode.

Silly questions, but if my dad's on antibiotics, can he be reinfected my his new roommate?

Thanks.

Barbara

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 pm

oh yes, i think they should be in their own rooms. Just my opinion.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue May 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Personally I would think isolation would be priority of cdiff patients. Private room should be demanded. It may not be the same strain of cdiff in each patient and also you may know your loved one's hygiene precautions but you can not be certain of the other patients. They can also give it back and forth to the other unknowingly if precautions are not in place. I WOULD MANDATE PRIVATE ROOM!!!!
Cindy

Barbara
New User

Postby Barbara » Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks to all. I found out last night that the roommate doesn't leave his bed and is not using the bathroom at all. My dad is quite diligent about washing his hands all the time.

Barbara

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed May 14, 2008 9:27 am

I would still demand his own room if you want him to get over this and stay over it..

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Wed May 14, 2008 10:32 am

yikes Barbara..had to toss in my two cents worth here too. First time I was inpatient with C Diff they put me in an isolation room. Ive read alot of the cases over in the UK, and some of the conclusions the investigations have shown (Roy can tell you much more) were the fact that the same med workers were treating C Diff patients roomed together - thus passing the cooties back and forth. Gotta agree with the others - demand a private/isolation room. Best of luck to your father.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 14, 2008 12:10 pm

I agree with the others. Do try & get him in a private room (check his insurance policy; some don't allow private rooms but you can usually pay the difference). Make sure all the medical personnel use good hygiene. (See FAQ-Hygiene.) Also not a bad idea to have all visitors wash their hands before & after they visit. She doesn't need another type of infection.

Barbara
New User

Postby Barbara » Fri May 16, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks to all. My dad is doing just great. His roommate, however, was taken to the hopital last night (he has many more issues than just c diff), so my dad has the room to himself.

And he's going home next Thursday!

Barbara

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Wonderful to hear he's doing better (and going home..yay). Personally though, Id still make sure the caregivers wash their hands and "glove up" before they touch Dad.

Best of luck to him with his healing :)
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Barbara
New User

Postby Barbara » Mon May 19, 2008 9:29 am

My dad developed c-diff after a course of cipro for an infection. He relapsed after another course of antibiotics prior to his gallbladder removal surgery.

B

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”