Good news re Florastor helps prevent future relapses

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sks001
Regular Contributor

Good news re Florastor helps prevent future relapses

Postby sks001 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:47 pm

The following link is from Medical News Today that I subscribe to. It covers a wide range of topics. This one is about Florastor and C-Diff, as well as more virulent strains that one in four will will experience reoccurences. Very interesting article! Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make it a link you could click on. Tried clicking on URL but it didn't work so guess have to copy and paste. If anyone know how to do it, please post how. Thanks.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/105956.php

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Well somehow it showed up as a link to click on. It didn't when I was typing in a new topic. Strange.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Florastor does work for some. It didn't for me. I was on the first blind study for the med. -- had to go to the U. of Mich. to register. Approx. 5 docs. throughout the US were involved. Dr. Surawitz was one of the docs. as well as 2 docs. in the NYC area & Dr. Fekety, the head of infect. disease at the U. of Mich. I had great hopes for it & was positive it would help me. (This was in l993-l997, the first "broth" (see Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen, KC). At the end of l997, I tried the broth again with little hope but it was either that or drive off a bridge. To my surprise, it worked!

Florastor was previously an OTC med. in Europe (I think mainly France & the UK) to treat diarhhea. It was called S. boulardii. I was on it for 2 yrs. - lst a blind study & then when it was unblinded, I was on compassionate usage. It didn't help or hurt me. A nurse from Harborview called me every 2 wks. to see how I was doing. She was wonderful, & I am sure I talked her ears off. I was also on Vanco. at the same time.

Perhaps they changed the formula. I don't think it's achieved the potential they hoped it would, but it has helped some & is "worth a shot." Remember, C. diff. is a selective disease. What works for some doesn't work for others. Check with your doc. & give it a try.

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 am

Floraster didn't work for me either. I continued taking it for 5 months after my first bout of c diff and I ended up with an infection again. I am tapering vanco now, 1 every 3 days but still using Floraster just for peace of mind I guess.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Jan,
Sorry it didn't work for you either. I was so hopeful about it.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Florastor was the only probotic my Infectious Disease doctor strongly recommended. She was so insistent I sent my son to get it at the Walgreens one block from the hospital because they did not have it. I think it helped and I still take one or two a day and plan to keep doing so for a while. The only negative is that it is expensive, but so is everything else about this disease. I think anyone with CDiff should give it a try, just in case.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Sorry folks if I posted something I shouldn't have. It just seemed like a positive article.

I think it might have helped me. When I had my second bout of C-Diff in April 2007, after first round on Flagyl in March 2007 didn't work, ID doc sent me home after nine days in hospital (boy was I sick - didn't know anything about C-Diff so didn't know to ask what kind of strain I had), he prescribed 6 week taper of Vanco, along with Flagyl the first 2 weeks of Vanco taper, and Lactinex and Florastor, and to continue Florastor for 6 weeks after taper was over in June. I've tested negative many times since then, but never recovered or got back to anywhere near normal. It's been almost 11 months and still constant nauseous every day (some days I'd almost prefer the Big D rather than this nausea) and have never been able to put back on even 1 lb. of the 40 I lost.

Bobbie - glad I didn't have C-Diff back when you had it, but U of M is in my area and it would have been great to meet you in person. Used to go to Ann Arbor all the time to take my paralyzed brother to VA Hospital which is next to U of M. They bring specialized drs. from U of M to VA to treat patients. Six doctors came over and saved his life once, operating and working on him for over 8 hours.

If you want to delete this thread, Bobbie, it's ok with me. I'll understand. Just thought I was posting something that sounded informative.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

concerned lady
Regular User

Florastor worked for me! Hey Bobbie, glad elbow not infected

Postby concerned lady » Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Sandy, Bobbie and all,

Bobbie, I'm very glad to hear you're OK! (Glad your elbow was not infected, so you didn't have to take--heaven forfend--any antibiotics!).

For me, Sandy, I had excellent results with the Florastor. I took it for 2 months, 2 capsules in the morning, and 2 capsules at night (total of 20 billion friendly yeast cells per day), shortly after I first began to have diarrhea from C. diff. after my 5 day course of Keflex for my infected arm from a little cut on my elbow, last fall.

I never took any Flagyl, nor Vanco, just the Florastor.

After a short while, no more diarrhea, no more cramping. After 2 months, I got my stool re-tested, and it came out negative for C. diff. toxins.

I was backed in my method (after the fact), by my new gastroenterologist in Denver, CO, Dr. Ken Weiner, MD, who had once been to a lecture by Lynne McFarland, and so, Dr. W. already knew about Florastor, and was in favor of it (for those whom it helps).

Dr. Weiner told me to keep using the Florastor for another 2 months, to be safe! So, I took it for 4 months, religiously, every day, and ended it on New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, 2007 ! :-)

I found out from that wonderful lady researcher (Lynne McFarland), that Florastor should NEVER be refrigerated, because refrigeration can ruin it (kills the friendly yeast0, making it useless against C. diff. toxins, etc.

Florastor IS SUPPOSED TO BE KEPT AT "ROOM TEMPERATURE". Dr. McFarland explained that refrigeration can cause moisture (water droplets) to get into the capsules, starting the friendly yeast to growing. Then, there is no food for the yeast in the capsules, so the growing yeast would die from lack of food, BEFORE they would ever get into one's digestive tract.

I really think that one reason the Florastor worked for me, is because I would get it "fresh", by ordering it from my local pharmacist (at a local Supermarket), and it would come in for me, fresh, the next morning!

When I had had first started taking the Florastor, I had gotten it from a discount drug store (I think it was a Walgreen's), but it was too close to being outdated, AND, I also made the mistake of refrigerating it! IT DIDN'T WORK (didn't stop the diarrhea). So, after a couple of doses, I switched to getting it from my local pharmacist.

As soon as I started to use the FRESH Florastor, keeping it at room temperature, it really worked! (NO MORE DIARRHEA0. I followed Lynne McFarland's "research" protocols, of using 10 billion cells twice a day (twp 250 mg. capsules "bid"). I tried to take at least one of the doses on an empty stomach. It agreed with me--no bad effects, ever.

I found that the Florastor (a freeze dried formulation of Saccharomyces boulardii--friendly/probiotic yeast, made in France by Biocodex) seemed to work better for me than the Jarrow brand did. But, I also had refrigerated the Jarrow brand of S. boulardii, back in the fall of 2007. Recently, Jarrow finally has put a new label on their new batches of S. boulardii, (sold in health food stores) saying it's OK to keep it at room temperature (Jarrow formerly said it needed to be refrigerated).

Jarro's S. boulardii is a lot cheaper than Florastor, but I used the Florastor, because it has been used in Europe for about 50 years, and is supposedly very well quality controlled.

I too plan to avoid antibiotics, unless I'm ever at death's door. If I ever have to take an antibiotic in the future, I would (if i had advance notice), start taking the Florastor IN ADVANCE, BY AT LEAST A WEEK OR TWO, OF ANY ANTIBIOTICS.

Good luck to you & to everyone. This website is the best! All docs should refer all patients here, who are prescribed antibiotics, BEFORE they take the antibiotics!

Sincerely,
Carol/Concerned lady
fsds@rkymtnhi.com (back to my original email now)
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
former RN/nurse, former VCD/vocal cord dysfunction patient.

concerned lady
Regular User

one side effect I did have, was leg cramps: think I know why

Postby concerned lady » Thu May 08, 2008 1:52 am

Florastor agreed with me--no bad effects, ever, except for ONE effect, namely some leg cramping. I believe that was due to the fact that yeasts, in general have a lot of phosphorus in them, and eating a lot of phosphorus sources (meats, Florastor, etc.), can drive calcium out of the body--hence causing the leg cramps). So, I would take a little extra calcium supplements, & that prevented leg cramps (or would stop them, if one started).

Also, those who are allergic to yeasts, or, who have yeast protein "sensitivity", should not take this, unless their docs say OK.

People with naso-gastric tubes, &/or with "central venous lines" (in ICU's/intensive care units, in a hospital), or who have very very depressed immune systems, shouldn't take S. boulardii, unless their docs say it's OK. The danger for these very sick folks, is getting this yeast (a type of fungus) into the bloodstream, causing a "fungemia" (fungal infection in the bloodstream). Those who had this fungemia happen, have survived, by being treated with specifically anti-fungal medications, to cure their fungemias.

Carol/Concerned lady
fsds@rkymtnhi.com
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
former RN/nurse, former VCD/vocal cord dysfunction patient.

Aread
New User

Postby Aread » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

we tried this after my sons first bout with c-diff. He needed antibiotics shortly after his recovery for strep throat. he took it in conjuction with Flagyl. No help, it came back. Now he's tappering Vanco.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 12, 2008 12:35 pm

sks00l,
No need to delete thread & perhaps your info. will encourage others to try Florastor. All I said was, "It didn't help me."

It has helped others (see other posts), didn't help some (see other posts), but is certainly "worth a shot." Several C. diff. experts (including Dr. Fekety of the U. of Michigan & Dr. Christina Surawitz from Washington) were involved in bringing it to the US. The people who ran the study were wonderful -- & very helpful. After 2 yrs. on it, I gave up & tried other avenues. Eventually, the "broth" (Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen, KC) worked -- the 2nd time. It did not help several others on the site.

This is one of the many weird things about C. diff. (altho. probably true about other diseases), what works for one, does not work for everyone.

Feel better, everyone, & keep trying. Something will eventually work for you.

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Fri May 30, 2008 5:50 pm

So how can I tell if I have yeast protein sensitivity??????? Now I am scared to try it....I am suppose to start on Sunday 2x day. I sure don't want any more problems........HELP....lol
smile...it is contageous

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri May 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Pat- During my bout with cdiff I was sent to allergist to try and find out what I was allergic to that was causing constant bouts of bronchitis. They tested me and found that I was mildly allergic to yeast. They did this through a blood test and only tested me for the most well known allergens. When the doctors suggested florastor my allergist said NO as he did not think taking a chance with the (unknown reaction) was a good idea. I suppose had I not known of my allergy I would have taken it. It sometimes helps some people and others it gives increased frequency and nausea. Everyone is different.
Cindy

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 am

Hi Cindy

I have been told by my doctor/GI that if I can eat bread I probably am not allergic to yeast. I am questioning this thinking process...lol Can the clinics lab do this blood test or do I have to go to an allergist?
smile...it is contageous

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”