Recommended diet

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lovemydogs
Brand New Poster

Recommended diet

Postby lovemydogs » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:32 pm

New here, first post, please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm searching for a recommended diet. I was diagnosed on Monday of this week after suffering for almost 3 weeks with this. I'm trying to learn how to cope and I need help. Other than just "follow a bland diet" recommended by my doctor, I'd like to know specifically what others have found to help or hurt. I have avoided any dairy, but plan to start yogurt tomorrow along with probiotics. I would appreciate any guidelines. Thanks.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:48 pm

lovemydogs,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you. You've posted in exactly the correct forum, no problem.

I was put on the BRAT (bananas rice applesauce toast) diet initially, and in fact my doc even said toast is too hard, just eat bread. But when I found this site, I learned that diet is very individual. What agrees with one person won't agree with others. Basically you should avoid caffeine and alcohol, and don't eat much fat, spice, or fiber. Some folks become lactose intolerant due to cdiff, so you need to be careful about dairy products (except probably yogurt with live cultures, as Roy says). Space probiotics as far apart from Flagyl or vanco as you can. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

KatKat
Brand New Poster

In addition to that diet

Postby KatKat » Tue May 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Just a quick note here. Adding to that BRAT died, I eat soft boiled eggs for protein. For Probiotics, I consulted the expert at a place called Healthy Approach. She recommended the stronges probiotic they had. It is found in the refrigerated section. It is called "Bio-K" and you drink one of them a day. The normal has 1 billion Acidophilus and others. The Bio-K has 160 Billion of each probiotic. I started feeling alot better by the 3rd day of drinking these. Just a suggestion.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”