Gallbladder problems after C-diff????

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
kimber
Brand New Poster

Gallbladder problems after C-diff????

Postby kimber » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:21 pm

Okay, I've posted a couple of times about my son's c-diff experience. He was an incredibly healthy, active 16 year old until he had his wisdom teeth extracted. Clendomycin....and of course, you know what happened next!

When he started his 2nd round of Flagyl, his D went away, but his pain was severe and never subsided. D came back and he did 28 days of Vanco--still severe abdominal pain and incredible fatigue.

D would come and go but tests were negative for diff. After all of this, 2 colonoscopies, 2 CT scans, an upper GI with a small bowel follow through and a normal HIDA scan...still pain and fatigue persisted!

He was admitted to the hospital and he had an immunologist consult on the case (and a psychiatrist too!)

OKAY, this is where it gets interesting.

The day that we followed up with the immunologist in clinic, he had another adolescent male visit right after we left. This kid had had a terrible c-diff infection over the winter and it had left him with extreme abdominal pain with no GI findings. For some unknown reason, they took his gall bladder out---all pain disappeared! Dr. said that Mom reported that all gallbladder tests were negative but when they sent it off to pathology, it came back as diseased.

So, I started all kinds of research and discovered that there is a very rare disease of the gall bladder that is caused by clostridium perfingens.

Does anyone know if there is a relation?

Has anyone had gall bladder problems after c diff infection?

We are trying to figure out if we take a chance with this. Of course you worry about having to use antibiotics during/after surgery and starting everything all over again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:53 pm

kimber,
I don't know if there is a relatationship as there are many types of Clostridium but good for you for doing research. Stick with reputable medical sites, however, and avoid those that are "selling" something. Also, different research studies can contradict each other -- just like doctors do.

Several people on this site had gallbladder problems after C. diff. Don't know if there is a relationship or not as I'm not in the medical field. I always get 3 opinions before any surgery. Taking another antibiotic if one is needed for surgery is an added risk. My ENT told me that the IV antibiotics usually given during surgery seldom do any good & are given because of "standard medical procedure."

See Gen. Dis. - Cdiff & other medical problems Hope your son feels better soon. Clindamycin is a "big" offender re. C. diff.

ttpelrine
Regular User

gallbladder and c-diff

Postby ttpelrine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi I started having bad upper abdominal pains about five months into my c-diff and I went for an ultrasound that showed a gallstone. I was waiting to see the surgeon when I had a severe attack and had to go to the ER where they took my gallbladder out right away. I don't know if the c-diff had anything to do with it but I never had problems with the gallbladder until after I was diagnosed with c-diff so I suppose it could be possible that it was linked to the c-diff.

crazyfarm
Brand New Poster

clostridium perfingens + gallbladder

Postby crazyfarm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I have been positive for c diff 4 times and am currently waiting for a colonoscopy. Have severe episodes of pain, that suddenly stop and just remain aconstant ache in my right side. I saw your post about gallbladder and am curious what sites you went on for your research? Did your son have his gallbladder removed? Did it get rid of the pain?

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

I had both my appendix and gallbladder removed in 2004 and I feel cdiff could have contributed......but who knows
Cindy

Trina
Brand New Poster

Re: Gallbladder problems after C-diff????

Postby Trina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am

Help!
I feel Like Kimber in 2007, I had c-Diff twice back to back,my upper abdomen has never recovered after c-diff and just recently my right side has been hurting.I had an endoscopy and a Hida scan both came back negative, the Dr. asked me if I need a psych counsel. They also did not believe anything was wrong with me when I insisted they do a stool test when my stomach was in burning pain and my BM's were very weird with Mucus and several times a day, but I did not have Diarrhea or a fever.After taking a stool sample upon my request the findings were C-Diff.Next on their list is integrated medicine.I have stopped drinking Coffee and alcohol and any spice food or any fruits or vegetables as this seems to make my stomach worse.
anyone have any suggestions?
Trina

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 pm

I've been having the burning pain in my stomach too and pain after eating. I am going to ask the doctor to do an upper endoscopy. THe one last year showed gastritis and I wonder if by now I might have an ulcer. They can take biopsies and see. I also want the to take a sample of the duodenal fluid (they did this before) to see if any bacteria is present that does not belong there. You might ask your doctor about having an endoscopy or maybe a CT scan, ultrasound, or MRI.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:26 pm

The endoscopy I had just prior to being diagnosed with c-diff showed I also had gastritis. It's interesting that so many of us seem to have so many similar complaints.
Bea

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm

There never seems to be an end to complications from this awful affliction. I have bad arthritis in my right thumb (and I'm right dominant) and know they'll want to do surgery, but I would rather suffer with the pain from that than chance complications of a surgery that could result in having to take antibiotics. It's kind of like being in a scary fun house ride when you never know if something is going to pop out at you. I think this disease messes with our minds as much as it does our bodies.
Aloha to all,
Anne

Tina
New User

Postby Tina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 am

So did you have your gallbladder surgery did they do it with out antibiotics did you get cdiff again the reason im asking is thay i need to get my gallbladdet out and i wonder if this is part of the relapase problems and stomach pain im having hope to be getting fmt soon but what if i have surgery later dont want to get cdiff again

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 am

Tina, that poster has not been active for 10 years.
You should find someone who has had problems more recently, best done probably by starting your own thread explaining your situation and asking for responses.

Rita

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”