Antibiotics while on high dose vanco for another infection

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nikki0294
Contributor

Antibiotics while on high dose vanco for another infection

Postby nikki0294 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:50 pm

I looked through all the old posts so I am not being redundant but I haven't seen where people have developed a bacterial infection while on high dose vanco. I am fighting a sinus infection with the help of my chiropracter for the last 10 days. I don't have a fever just alot of green mucus and phlegm and am very hoarse with alot of coughing. She thinks I can fight it and I pray I can as I am still on the 2000 mg of vanco till July 1st. Has anyone taken antibiotics during treatment for c.diff? If so, if you take them does the c.diff that seems somewhat better on the vanco just kick up to new proportions?? I hate this...I am doing the sinus irrigation, mucinex, nasalquort, and sudafed with no relief!! I am so worried!! Anyone with a similiar experience please let me know how you did it!!
Thanks
Chris

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi Nikki

I am fighting a UTI and just passed a kidney stone. The doctor wanted me to go on Cipro ( I said no way) then on Bactrim ( I said no way) then he finally agreed with me when I told him I wanted to try Macrobid. It is one of the lower offenders of C Diff. I am taking 2xdaily and right now I am tapering vanco at 250x2 daily with Florastor and Culturelle. I am praying I do not see any more signs of C Diff flaring. This is my 3rd day on Macrobid and I have 7 more to go. I will keep you posted. Good luck with the sinus infection. I would like to hear from more posters also if they have also taken other antibiotics while on vanco.

Jan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:02 am

Nikki & Jan,
You should have looked a little father down, Nikki. See WHO HAS BEEN ABLE TO TAKE ANTIBIOTICS AGAIN? in this forum.

Sometimes being on Vanco. will prevent your C. diff. from becoming worse if you have to take another antibiotic, & sometimes it doesn't.

See FAQ-Infections for further tips on sinus infections, Nikki. You can do the saline irrigation 4 or 5 X a day.

If you still feel as though you had a sinus infection, I'd see an ENT. They have the tools to better diagnose you. Sometimes a culture can determine if it is a bacterial infection but not sure how reliable they are. Do contact one if this continues before agreeing to take an antibiotic. See FAQ-Antibiotics.

nikki0294
Contributor

Bobbie

Postby nikki0294 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm

I am still on 2000 mg of vanco trying to get rid of the pseudomembrane colitis from the last time I tapered and have never been able to get off of the vanco so this is why I am really worried. I just had to leave my daughter's dance recital because of a coughing fit. I think I will see my internist and see what he says tomorrow. Hopefully someone on the list has been treated for both at the same time.

Thanks

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:54 am

Hi Chris

4 more day of having to take macrobid and yesterday I noticed a change.
I am praying I am not relapsing more because of having to take another antibiotic while on vanco. Extremely tired, lethargic, more bathroom visits but no "D". Lost my appetite once again. I am going to try to get through this while only taking 2 vanco a day. My doctor is on vacation this week so I have no choice. I'll keep you posted.

Jan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Jan,
Macrobid shouldn't affect you. Considered one of the "safe" antibiotics." See FAQ-Antibiotics. Goes straight to the UT. Perhaps you are just having a "bad day."

If you do continue to have problems, contact your doc. Push those fluids & try cranberry juice. Remember, even drinking water can be overone, however. I suppose 8 to 10 glasses a day should "do it." Since I have kidney problems (& have had several UTI's) in the last couple of years, I always keep a bottle of water in my car.

nikki0294
Contributor

infection

Postby nikki0294 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 am

I had a cat scan of my sinuses and chest x-ray but the doc says he thinks it is bronchitis but we are waiting for results today. I am still coughing up so much green mucus though. My GI doc said I should be covered if I have to take another antibiotic for my infection but could get antibiotic assoc. diarrhea. I read most bronchitis infections are viral but why all this green mucus. This has been going on for 10 days now so I am very concerned. I guess I will keep waiting for results. Anyone ever have this?
Thx
Chris

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:22 pm

Nikki,
Yes, I've had similar symptoms many times & pneumonia 4 or 5 times. The chest Xray should determine if it is pneumonia. Then you can procede from there.

I was able to tolerate a Z-pak for pneumonia in November w/o C. diff. although I was amazed I did. (Others have developed C. diff. from it, however.) It's main advantage is that you take it only 5 days, but it stays in your system for 10 days.

I'd consult your pharmacist & talk frankly to your doctor about your fear of antibiotics. See FAQ-Antibiotics in case you do need an antibiotic. Most bronchitis is viral. The "green" can indicate the infection is bacterial but not always. The fact you are coughing it up is good.

Good luck.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”