Worse at night?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:11 pm

Vancocin is the licensed name for the oral form of vancomycin, which is an IV drug. Sometimes the names are used interchangeably. Your doctor ordered correctly.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:25 pm

Good . . I'm glad.

It says "Take one every six hours" Does that mean around the clock? Four total in a day?

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:02 pm

That's right. While it's important to space the doses as evenly as possible, it is usually not necessary to interupt sleep if you can manage to get 8 hours of it. That's important too as you know!

Check with your pharmacist if you are at all uncomfortable with the dose scheduling. They say different things. Mine told me it was not critical to take exactly 6 hours apart if that meant interfering with needed sleep....not for vancocin. More than 8 hours apart though, means waking up specifically for the meds.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 pm

He gave me enough for 14 days. Is that usual?

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Yes, 1gram per day for two weeks is a typical protocol. Not at all unusual from what we see here on the site.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Just an update for everyone. Now on day seven of Vanco and I feel great! I am actually amazed at how much better I feel. And the D is almost non-existant. Monday morning after making several trips to the stool and then noticing that it was ordinary D I took some Immodium and it cleared it right up. I am also taking Questran so I am being very careful to space it far enough between the doses of Vanco to not impact them. Now I am just praying that when I finish the Vanco I don't start feeling horrible again.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:10 pm

I saw my Dr. today. He is now mostly concerned about my weight. When this all started I weighed 184 lbs. Now I weigh 162. I told him that following the suggested diet from this site (which is for all the world Atkins because of practically no carbs) and combined with the fact that before just a few days ago I felt so terrible I didn't really care if I ate or not that was probably why. But now my appetite is back big time so he told me to eat!

I told him about my fears of relapse and he honestly told me that in his practice he has never seen that. He said that in just one or two rounds of medication at the most it is gone and doesn't return. Plus he is convinced that drinking one Danactive per day is sufficient to build the good bacteria back up. So let's hope that he's right. He asked me to come back in six weeks and said that he knew I would be finishing the Vanco before then so if by chance I did relapse to let him know immediately. But he really doesn't think it will happen.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:39 pm

Glad you're on the upswing. Vanco can certainly enhance your quality of life, especially when compared to flagyl...which probably added heavily to your loss of appetite. It's another common side effect and greatly contributes to initial weight loss for alot of us.

Hopefully when you're done with vanco, your doc can continue to say he's never seen a patient relapse with cdiff. :) About 80% of people don't.

BTW, where is the " suggested diet from this site"? Was it a diet used by an individual poster? If it was, remember to always qualify these things with your doc first. Site admin and moderators would never recommend a no carb "diet" when battling cdiff. You need to keep your nutrition level as optimal as possible, and that's why most docs say, "Eat whatever you want as long as it agrees with you." Obviously, if something causes symptoms, abstain from that particular food for now.

While it is not a good idea to keep eating foods that have caused trouble, this is different for everyone and the only way to tell is by trial and error.
It's detrimental to follow any special "diet" automatically with cdiff...especially if you don't know what may or may not cause problems. It's highly individual and makes no sense to wholesale ban certain foods when they may not be troublesome and you need them for balanced nutrition and to avoid more weight loss.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:08 pm

In the FAQ section there is a thread or two on Nutrition. It said clearly that c-diff thrives on sugar and to avoid it at all costs. Made sense to me so I did that. It also said if it's a juice with a lot of sugar in it to cut it in half with water.

Interestingly though it said to eat honey as it is good for you. I got some to put on my dry toast to help choke it down with. It also said to eat cottage cheese as even though it's dairy it is usually well tolerated and the protein in it is beneficial.

I have fudged on a few things. I got so tired of plain saltine crackers I started eating Ritz and didn't seem to hurt anything.

But anyway I get what you are saying and I will follow my Dr.'s orders :)
Thanks for your reply.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”