Can vancomycin cause c diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
kar98421
Brand New Poster

Can vancomycin cause c diff?

Postby kar98421 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:51 pm

Hello. I previously had c diff for about two months at the beginning of the year due to a course of augmentin. I had shoulder surgery 12 days ago. I took prophylactic oral vancomycin three days prior to surgery because my surgeon was planning on giving me IV ancef. He changed his mind and gave me IV vancomycin instead. The oral vancomycin gave me loose stools before surgery but stopped. Now, 12 days post op, I have had D multiple times today. I already went and submitted a stool sample but I am terrified. Has anyone acquired c diff from vancomycin?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can vancomycin cause c diff?

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:46 am

When I took it I used to relapse over and over again. It is possible, but not likely. I used it as a prophylactic once because I had to take another antibiotic, but thereafter when I took antibiotics, I did not do that and I did better. Vanco always gave me loose stools, even when I had c difficile. See what your test shows. Hopefully it is negative.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”