I think it’s back

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

I think it’s back

Postby ashtontw » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:11 pm

I think I might be back after 7 years. I had a scare back in March but this time is worse.

Had c Diff for 9 months, cured by FMT after relapsing countless times on Vanco.

I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago today. I had to take Solosec (one single packet) to treat BV before my surgery. I had one IV dose of Ancef during surgery. A month after surgery I had to take a dose of Tinidazole for BV again (two pills, for two days, considered low risk and actually has been studied to treat c Diff). Now two weeks ago I was given 3 days of Bactrim for a UTI. I actually only got three of the six pills of the Bactrim in before I had a bad skin reaction to it and stopped it. Was not given another antibiotic as repeat culture showed the UTI resolved.

I have a hard time thinking two very minimal (3 pills of Bactrim and 1 IV dose Ancef) and two very low risk (solosec and tinidazole are related to Flagyl) could have seriously done this to me after 7 years of no antibiotics after an FMT.

I’m waiting on my results from Quest, I submitted a GDH/toxins test yesterday. I went to the ER this morning hoping for a faster test result but they sent me home because I couldn’t go after three hours (of course). They did a CT scan and there was no inflammation in my colon. Seven years ago I remember having lots of inflammation in my colon.

I’m absolutely devastated. This hysterectomy was incredibly hard on me mentally and physically. I’m considered fully recovered officially today, but now I’m facing this monster….I truly don’t know if I can handle this again.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: I think it’s back

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:57 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this....I do remember you!!

I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 for one year. Several rounds of Vanco failed...Dificid failed....but I then went onto a Dificid taper and it finally worked. My recovery was long.

In 2020 I became very ill and landed in the ER, before I could even respond...they had given me IV antibiotics. I did get CDIFF after returning home on day 2. I was very sick but my ID quickly put me on a Dificid Taper. It worked and I moved through this quickly, nothing like my first experience. We know so much more now.

If by chance it is positive......get treatment right away. It is possible it is NEGATIVE so hang in there and try not to panic.

Wishing you the BEST! Let us know how you do

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: I think it’s back

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:56 am

Did you test for any other pathogens besides c difficile? If the test is negative, and you continue with the D, ask to have a stool culture done for other bacteria. It could also be a virus. Let us know how it turns out and good luck!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”