Least worst antibiotic for my sad, infected toe

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lizzyb
Brand New Poster

Least worst antibiotic for my sad, infected toe

Postby lizzyb » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:42 am

Well gang, I'm back. The good news is I've been c-diff-free since 2015 following a fecal transplant! So I can affirmatively say there are treatments that eventually work and there's life on the other side.

That said, I had an ingrown toenail turn into an infected toe. After two weeks of soaks and topical mupirocin, it hasn't improved. My doctors are getting increasingly frustrated with my refusal to take oral antibiotics and keep warning me about the risk of the infection turning systemic. I really don't want to die from MRSA after surviving c-diff! (I'm being slightly dramatic for effect, but you get it). So I might have to give in and take something.

The question is what antibiotics will (a) treat the infection successfully while (b) reducing the likelihood that I get this beast again?

My docs are pushing broad-spectrum drugs like Keflex - the evil med that took me down in the first place - and Clinda. Both of which I know to be especially risky moves. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, what did you take? Or can anyone offer thoughts on what antibiotics might be the least worst? I know we're not doctors, but I think this group collectively has more c-diff wisdom than most of the medical profession combined! Thanks!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Least worst antibiotic for my sad, infected toe

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:04 pm

Hi, I remember you.....I had CDIFF at the same time back then and did have to get IV antibiotics in 2020...did get it again but this time an ID quickly put me on a Dificid taper and I pushed though it.....nothing like the first.

I would stay away from Clindamycin..........1000% not use that. It is the number one offender. We have a list on the site but nothing is 100%.

I know several posters have been on Doxycycline, put it in the search bar and their posts will come up. The big issue is you must take care of the infection if all else has been tried and MRSA is scary.

As you know....one can work for one and not another.

Take care and I hope all goes well for you

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:53 am

My mom had a skin infection post c diff that she got in the nursing home where she was living. She had to take doxycycline for an entire month, but did not relapse. If doxy works, that is one of the ones that is less likely to cause c diff. The ID doc that I was seeing years ago when I had c diff, told me that would be his first choice for me and I have taken it since c diff without a relapse. Good luck! Hopefully no oral antibiotic will be needed. Can't a podiatrist cut around the area and clean it out? I know some people have been lucky with that.

lizzyb
Brand New Poster

Postby lizzyb » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:33 pm

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply. NanciT - wow what a terrible excuse for a shared life experience! But thanks for remembering me.

I don't think the doctors understand the likelihood of those who've had c-diff getting it again. They're super blase and I'm all wide-eyed and sweating.

But I'll mention doxy if it gets to that. I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Monday (whom I trust) and I plan to ask him about draining the area and removing part of the toenail. I'm a total wimp so it says a lot that THIS is the option I'm pushing for!

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:21 pm

I completed a course of doxycycline last month, knowing it was the least likely to cause a relapse, but I have C. Difficile again. One of the gastroenterologists I saw said to take Vancomycin or Dificid with oral antibiotics, so perhaps that will work.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:31 am

So sorry to hear that. Some people can take antibiotics after c diff and many can't. I took vanco with an antibiotic and it made everything worse, so I don't do it, but others have had success with that. I hope you get over this bout quickly!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:49 am

I had an injury to my foot, basically on the outside of my big toe. My doc said take an antibiotic or you’re gonna lose part of your foot. Bactrim kicked it in record time and no relapse. Bactrims a low offender

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”