Oral Thrush Treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Oral Thrush Treatment

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:28 am

Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted, hope everyone is doing well. Next month will be 3 years since my FMT and I have been C Diff-free since. I still struggle with IBS that I developed after getting the C Diff. Knock on wood, I haven't been on any antibiotics since my FMT. And I hope to keep it that way.

My tongue is burning and have a sore throat. Based on the research I have done in the last few days, I think I am in the process of developing oral Thrush. I was exposed to yeast on Tuesday night ( May 30th), and if I can I like to leave it at that. There are no visual sing of oral Trush yet, but all the symptoms, such as a burning tongue, and sore throat seem to indicate I am in the process of developing Thursh I have been using salt water to rinse for the past few days.. Seems to help to elevate..

Is there anything else I can do to avoid antibiotics
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Oral Thrush Treatment

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Antibiotics are not the correct treatment for thrush, if anything they will make it worse. Nystatin, an antifungal liquid, is often used for oral thrush. You can choose to spit it out after swishing if you’re concerned about it killing good fungi in your gut. It’s prescription only in the UK, not sure about US. Hope that helps!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:37 pm

Good advice.
Thrush does not respond to antibiotics.
Mostly it clears without treatment and we probably all carry it.
A home remedy is to hold live yoghurt in your mouth as long as possible several times a day then spit it out.

I can guess how you caught it so both participants will need to treat down below with an antifungal even if there's no symptoms in that area.

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:56 pm

Sounds like thrush to me as well. I take Diflucan which is an anti yeast and it works wonders. Not an antibiotic and won't affect your gut.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”