Hospital Acquired Fear - any reassurances?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Hospital Acquired Fear - any reassurances?

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 29, 2023 9:42 am

I’ve just passed my 2 year anniversary of successful FMT. I’m back in hospital with something else (that they have failed to diagnose) and I’m certain the old lady in the next bay has C Diff. She used the commode and that was enough to alert me (even with a mask on to avoid Covid, as she’s coughing all the time) then I heard her tell the pharmacist she’s had diarrhoea three times today. I took him to one side to tell him about the smell so that he will get the docs to do a test asap but I’m terrified. They haven’t isolated her. The toilet is left dirty. They use the same oximeter on everyone without cleaning it (they wouldn’t use sporicidal wipes anyway) and we share the restroom. I had a panic attack when they moved me to this ward as it’s where the whole 6 month nightmare happened to me in the first place. I can’t believe I’m now stuck next to someone who probably has it, and my immune system is poor.

As long as I wash my hands thoroughly I should be ok… right??? Unless it’s already got me.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hospital Acquired Fear - any reassurances?

Postby NanciT » Mon May 29, 2023 1:54 pm

So sorry you are going through this!!!! Yikes...I would be just as worried. Is there any way they can move you due to your history??

I will say this, MANY patients get D in the hospital because many are on antibiotics and they do NOT get CDIFF.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm

Thanks for replying, Nanci. No, there aren’t any other beds and if I move there is a risk of Covid anyway. It’s a nightmare! The smell was pretty unmistakable when she used the commode. Their sloppy approach is appalling; they put me straight in a side room when they suspected me yet she’s being allowed to carry on as normal. I may complain to infection control tomorrow. I want to go home but feel too ill.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 29, 2023 4:51 pm

Challenge anyone and ask if they have washed their hands before handling anything you handle.
Insist on clean equipment including that oximeter!
If they are offended then so be it.
You don't need them as friends, you want them to make you well.
Wearing a mask is a good idea.
Its a great reminder that anything going near your mouth needs to be clean and stops the automatic hand to mouth movements.
Good luck.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon May 29, 2023 9:17 pm

It would be a good idea to get infection control in there and explain your concerns.

I hope things improve for you soon

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 am

Thanks both. I am now doing my own medications and will not eat (which is not good as I’m already underweight). I had to tell the catering guy about it and that he MUST wear gloves then remove every time he goes in her bay. Why is it me having to do that?!

The stench is unbearable. They have given her no handwashing advice and every utensil she touches goes back to the kitchen. I’m livid!

Ringing infection control when they open at 9am (it was a Bank Holiday yesterday so they were shut. Shame pathogens don’t take holidays).

EDIT: Now I’m thinking, ‘what if I’m wrong and I’ve made a big fuss about nothing?’ But I don’t suppose that matters; a worse scenario is I am right and didn’t act.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”