Taking abx again

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Taking abx again

Postby Zapper » Sun May 28, 2023 10:15 pm

So I’m celebrating my 6 year cdiff free anniversary this weekend by getting strep throat.
I haven’t had to take any abx these past 6 years and trying to heal myself naturally with elderberry syrup, colloidal silver spray, warm salt water gargles and Tylenol but it just keeps getting worse. Granted I am only on day 3 so it’s still early.
I am having SO much anxiety that it’s debilitating thinking that I might have to take abx again. I’ve gone thru the posts here over and over about “safe” abx etc. None of it gives me any peace.
I just keep flashing back to wishing I was dead after an 18 month cdiff nightmare and failed FMT. I know that this is my PTSD talking and I’m taking meds for that but I can’t think straight and my fear is keeping me from the doctor.

Has anyone successfully treated strep at home naturally? Or am I insane for doing this?

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Taking abx again

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 29, 2023 11:18 am

I just wanted to offer some support. I don’t know much about strep but completely understand your desire to try and cure naturally. Maybe review after 5 days? Ultimately if you have to take abx there is no guarantee you’ll get it. I would be just as afraid as you are though. Maybe start on some S Boulardii now to get a head start? Sending good vibes across the pond!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon May 29, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks. Yeah it’s just a scary time. I think I might actually have to take abx and coupled with the PTSD and not trusting doctors it has left me in a mess.
The pain is bad but manageable I can still drink fluids and eat. I’m using colloidal silver spray and elderberry. I’m actually sitting here at urgent care waiting for the strep result. I just don’t know what to do. I’ve never taken the abx since so I don’t know what outcome I will have.
All I know is that cdiff almost killed me and left me with PTSD and a lifelong battle of anxiety and fear. I continued to test positive on the PCR post FMT with no symptoms so we didn’t treat and the GI said I would most likely have a reinfection with abx in the future.

I’m going down the rabbit hole on untreated strep too. It’s just all a mess and I wish I knew the answers.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon May 29, 2023 1:51 pm

Wait for the results. I thought I had strep...worst sore throat I have ever had and was seen in urgent care. The doctor said it was going around...test was negative and she had seen 20 patients already that day with the same thing. It took me 2 weeks to get over it...it was a bad virus. I did 4 Covid tests too, all negative.

If it is positive, call your GI about which treatment would be best for you

I hope you feel better soon

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 29, 2023 1:57 pm

I’m so sorry, that’s really tough. I have ptsd from it too, sure many of us do, so understand. Like Nanci says it might be a virus. Let us know.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 29, 2023 5:06 pm

Treatment for strep must start within 48 hours of first symptoms to have any effect but Dr's still dish out antibiotics automatically just because of test results!
Complication risk from antibiotics are probably higher than the very small risk of complications from strep.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Mon May 29, 2023 7:46 pm

What about the option to take vanco or dificid together with the antibiotic for the strep - I have seen in this support group that an ID doctor has told to one of the posters to take vanco or dificid together with the basic antibiotic in order to be on the safe side ... ?

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:00 pm

I have to be on Augmentin or IV antibiotics a lot (Invanz, Rocephin) because I'm immune compromised with a history of Cdiff in 2016.

I ALWAYS take two dificid every day with my offending antibiotic and then I take Dificid for 10 days after.

I was on Augmentin 5 x last year and NEVER got Cdiff.

It works. And although my tummy was a bit upset, it went away as soon as I was done the offending antibiotic.

Find a doctor who will give you enough Dificid to cover the whole time plus 10 days. It's never failed for me and it amazes me we live in a time where doctors can prevent you from gettin Cdiff and they refuse.

I thank God every day for my doctor for I would surely not have survived last year.

Best of luck!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:13 am

Hope you’re doing well. This bug is exactly what’s hitting the Midwest. My wife tested positive for strep and took augmentin, which she hasn’t taken an antibiotic in 15 yrs. I dodged it for a month and then caught it at work as well as a sinus infection. I tried everything imaginable and eventually came to the conclusion that a zpak was better than feeling like walking death. Of course the telehealth doc tried augmentin and didn’t believe that doxy would work. She was probably right. Of course she tried prescribing Zithromax for 8 days which is crazy. I’m taking my 4th day today and im done. Throats better and all the trapped mucus came out yesterday. My stomachs a bit off but I’ve been taking tons of probiotics which I haven’t taken in a few years. Good luck. Whatever this crap is that’s going around goes straight bacterial.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”