Colonoscopy safety?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Colonoscopy safety?

Postby ashtontw » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:47 pm

Hi everyone!

Seeking advice on colonoscopy safety in terms of C Diff. Everything I’ve read up on is conflicting.

I’ve been dealing with D, M, nausea and stomach issues for two weeks now. I went and got tested in the ER (FilmArray NAAT/PCR) which was negative. I got some urine in the sample so I feared a false negative. My primary sent out a GDH via Quest. I got negative results for that, also. (I’m assuming these results are trust worthy, right? Part of me wants a third test but I know I’m off the deep with my PTSD right now)

I was seen by the P.A. at my new GI’s office yesterday. She ordered a colonoscopy and I got on the books for Tuesday.

Now I’m scared. How risky is a colonoscopy and prep for someone with a C Diff history? I’m assuming if I were colonized, the GDH would have picked that up. So the prep shouldn’t cause me a relapse, right? I was cured via FMT 6 years ago. I just don’t want to harm my flora and cause a relapse somehow from getting a colonoscopy. Anyone know how much the prep actually affects gut flora? Is it the equivalent of taking an antibiotic? Or just a general wash out? And the equipment should be absolutely sterile and no risk of getting a spore shoved up there, right?

I’m trying to decide if I want to postpone. But I would really like answers and to feel better. I’ve been taken off the schedule at my job until I feel better and I really need to get back to work. I have dealt with IBS since C Diff but can pop a pepto and move along. The last couple of weeks is different.

Huge thanks to anyone who takes the time to read/respond. You all have been keeping me sane this week through this scare.

Ashton

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy safety?

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:06 am

Many posters have had colonoscopies, myself included, after c difficile. The few that relapsed were ones who had it very shortly after their bouts with c diff. You have had years to build up your good flora and a colonoscopy does not wipe everything out. Bacteria sticks to the walls of the intestines from what I understand.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy safety?

Postby GtrGrl » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 am

I’ve had one and did not relapse. If you don’t do this, how are you going to move forward with finding out what’s wrong? Also, anecdotally, sometimes people seem to feel better after a colonoscopy as it ‘cleans them out’! (Although not 100%, like Beth said.)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”