Antibiotics given during surgery

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mrowland06
Regular Contributor

Antibiotics given during surgery

Postby mrowland06 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Hi everyone! I had c-diff about 12 years ago and have done well ever since the awful few months of having c-diff. My c-diff was caused by 1 dose of cipro. I've taken 2 antibiotics since then for a sinus infection (z-pack) and did well.

Fast foward to now...I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy and they want to give me ancef (Cefazolin) and flagyl during surgery to prevent infection. This will be given in an IV only during surgery. I have read awful stuff about ancef causing c-diff and I am currently in discussions with my surgeon about antibiotic alternatives. She doesn't seem to think I'll have any issues with it but you know if you've never had c-diff....then you just don't get it. It's awful! And there is no way I want to relive that on top of recovering from abdominal surgery.

Has anyone had surgery and found an antibiotic combination that didn't cause c-diff? Or had good luck talking to your surgeon about alternatives? I did really well with Vancomycin during c-diff. I had taken Flagyl to start, but had a rough time with it so we switched to vancomycin. Would vancomycin be an alternative they could use?

Thank you in advance for your help!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotics given during surgery

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:16 am

We have had posters who had IV vancomycin for surgeries. I don't know if it would be the right one for a hysterectomy. Ask your doctor if that is an alternative for you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”