Colonoscopy

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Colonoscopy

Postby D1dad » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:36 pm

Just popped in to say I had one today. Approaching 50 it was time and can’t believe I just typed the number 50. My cdiff was pretty bad from a bleeding standpoint, the ER doc even recommended one almost 4 years ago when he treated me. Here’s my take on the procedure. The prep sucks, and I mean sucks. I can’t imagine that drinking blended FMT could taste any worse, but I chugged down all 4 liters, 8 ounces at a time. As far as the colon cleaning process went I have to say I expected more lol. If your like me and had cdiff that caused you to go 25-30 times a day then your in for a disappointment. I even stated to the doc that after cdiff this was nothing. I had maybe half that and made no short sales with my maker to make it stop. You’ll know when the preps cycled through. I was worried about ptsd from my fun with cdiff but it never occurred. Once I was back in the O R it was lights out and I was being woke up and on my way home. They did find a polyp and internal hemorrhoids which I pretty much knew the latter. Honestly I figured there’d be some ravaging scars from cdiff but I was given a clean bill of health assuming that the polyp isn’t pre cancerous and if it is than todays GetR done may have saved my life, who knows. All I know is it wasn’t that bad and no need to be afraid or put it off.
PS….jello and broth aren’t food!

roy
Administrator

Re: Colonoscopy

Postby roy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:04 am

Congratulations on a clean bill of colon health.
Your right about the prep taste, starts as salty lemon and the second half ends up as fermented tuna!
Did they give you any photos?
When I woke up the Dr presented me with a close up picture of my hems, that's certainly not going on the family album:-)
Might leave it in my will to our daughter on law.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:50 am

No pics as of yet Roy lol. Apparently prep has come a long way, but unfortunately my doc hadn’t caught up yet. An in law has to do it every 3 years and said he just has to chug 8 ounces or so of laxative followed by 64 ounces of Gatorade in the next few hours. That sounds a far sight better than the gallon jug of sludge I had to woof down in a few hours.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:44 pm

I too just had my first Colonoscopy since CDiff. I also had an Endoscopic exam as they did a biopsy to check for Celiac disease. I've had chronic D since CDiff and was recently diagnosed as Gluten In tolerant. I was apprehensive about the prep; my last scoping was just prior to my cancer surgery and CDiff, and made me physically ill for 4 days afterwards. I went through this one unscathed.

To get ready I had to drink 2 - 16 bottles of prep 7 hours apart. and 32 oz of water after each dose. I agree the prep tastes absolutely foul; the after tastes makes it difficult to get it down. I would have chugged it, but the instructions say not to. I tried something new this go around; I had 2-3 drinks, then gargled a couple of times with water to get rid of the taste. I repeated the process until it was gone. Still unpleasant, but it made it easier to manage.

Still waiting for my results, but I too was amazed that my colon wasn't damaged more from CDiff and chronic D.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”