Skin Itching Post C-Diff - Female Stuff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Chelsfox
Brand New Poster

Skin Itching Post C-Diff - Female Stuff

Postby Chelsfox » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:16 pm

Hello,

I am 5 months free of C-Diff following a Vancomycin treatment that worked. I got C-Diff from back to back Augmentin and Azithromycin use for a foot infection. I feel as if it has possibly ruined my life. I have read some other stories much worse than mine on here, and I want to say I’m sorry and feel for everyone. This is so horrible. I keep wishing I would have not taken that Augmentin, and vigorously soaked my foot instead.
I am posting because I had a host of female infections after Vancomycin. I work out a lot and it’s hot in the South. I developed jock itch, then a yeast infection, and then a bacterial infection. I am currently infection free after several doses of Diflucan and monistat for external skin, but am still itchy. You guessed it…in that area. It ranges from outer skin, inner skin, and some days all the way up to my backside. I am going on 3 months and I’m losing my mind. Some days are way better than others. Some days my skin itches all over my body. My doctors gave me zero post diet advice. Nothing. I just recently changed my diet (last four days) and I’m writing down what I eat. However, on 11/11 I didn’t itch almost all day. On 11/12 I ate almost the same foods, but itched half the day. Today, I itch pretty bad and my skin all over my body itches too. I have barely eaten today, mainly due to being depressed.
I guess I’m wondering if maybe I have developed food allergies that are exhibiting this way? I think I am iron deficient since this, and possibly not absorbing vitamins. My physical blood work was normal besides RDW, which could mean I am slightly anemic.
I was hoping the whole food diet would help. I just want my life back. I also keep wondering if it’s just all linked to dehydration and my skin isn’t bouncing back because of iron and nutrients, along with being 43.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this at all? I need hope…my OBGYB basically wrote me off and told me to find a functional medicine doctor after the last three tests were negative for yeast or bacteria and the skin appears normal.

Thank you for reading,
Chels

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Skin Itching Post C-Diff - Female Stuff

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:16 am

I have not had that from treating c difficile, but I have had very itchy skin. I would suggest that you see a dermatologist. They can diagnose something like that better. They can also suggest what treatment would be beneficial. My dermatologist also prescribes lotions and non Rx treatments. I know that baths in something that contains oatmeal helps itchy skin, but I don't recall the name of the product. It might be by Aveeno. Maybe someone else will have had a similar experience and can share.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:32 am

I have almost the exact same symptoms. I’m desperately seeking answers. I don’t believe this is an allergy as it started with a gynae infection 16 months ago (pathogen not identified) and symptoms have even spread around my body. I feel generally very unwell with nausea, visual disturbance, headaches etc too. The itching feels like it’s also inside my pelvis, stomach and liver. I think I was so depleted after the C Diff and multiple rounds of antibiotics that I was open to more infections. I daren’t take antibiotics to empirically treat in case I get C Diff again so I just feel totally stuck. Does yours vary in terms of intensity within hours? Like one minute you want to tear your skin off then it suddenly totally calms down? DM if you want to chat.

Chelsfox
Brand New Poster

Postby Chelsfox » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am

Mine definitely varies day to day. My itching feels like it’s on the skin inside my labia and sometimes outside. My skin can itch all over on other days. I have no idea what is causing it. Do you feel like your actual insides itch?

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Yup. And I checked and we do have itch receptors in our gut but docs just keep brushing the symptom aside or saying, ‘well I’ve never heard of that before.’ I can’t explain the liver and chest cavity itching though. Do message me if you want to compare notes on some of the ‘other’ symptoms. You’re not alone in what you’re experiencing.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:33 am

As Beth has mentioned do check in with DERM. I saw DERM and GYN after treating CDIFF for over a year with Vanco and Dificid. I suspect it was the Vanco and could not get rid of Yeast infection. It was on and off for months until GYN and DERM agreed a long course of Diflucan which worked.

Everyone is different, I tried vaginal probiotics, creams, anything I though might work but it finally resolved after the continued Diflucan.

It is harsh on the liver so it must be monitored and my doctors watched closely.

If you can get a GYN and DERM to work together that can help

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:50 am

A doctor told me Vanco doesn’t cause thrush and I thought, ‘what nonsense!’ Surely any antibiotic can do that, if you take enough of it! (He also kept going on about me being anxious and I thought, ‘do you know anything about neurotoxins?’)

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:06 am

Hi there!

I’m so sorry to hear. This is what I have done in the past that has helped with my sensitive skin issues before I even had cdiff. (Mostly itching on my legs) First, I started with looking at my laundry detergent. Eliminated anything with fragrance. Purchased fragrance free/sensitive detergent. I know a lot of us have used bleach in our laundry since having Cdiff. That would cause itchy skin for sure! Second, I moved to my body washes- switched to any wash fragrance free. Also, summers Eve has a great line of washes- also fragrance free that helps with balance of PH etc. I would consider loose clothing when working out and you guessed it, granny panties/100% cotton. Then immediate shower after working out! (I actually even rinse off before working out to help when I do sweat) I would try a pre-workout shower to see if it helps. I would also work with a dermatologist! I’m sorry to hear doctors not listening to your concerns- very disappointing to hear! (I would just go above them and complain! But I’m very pushy when it comes to health stuff!)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”