Tested positive again

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jodiekee
Regular User

Tested positive again

Postby Jodiekee » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:30 pm

I'm so scared and feel so defeated.
I just tested positive again. My whole body aches and I feel like I've been hit by truck. These symptoms bother me more than the slightly bloody water coming out of me. I've been on and off of flagyl for months and months. Finally the doctor is fighting for dificid for me with insurance company because I'm allergic to vanco. Pray for me that I can get it. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to hang on. Again. Debating going to hospital for fluids but trying to get dressed seems so difficult right now.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tested positive again

Postby NanciT » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 am

I am sorry you are going through this!!!!

Waiting for Dificid approval, it should be FAST. Call your insurance company and get a supervisor on the line. I had to battle this also. Dificid works well, it is the only thing that has cured me.

You can tell them Flagyl is NO LONGER listed as a treatment for CDIFF. I believe the change occurred in 2018.

Its either Vanco (and you are allergic) or DIficid. Your GI should know this especially if you have an allergy to Vanco.

Hope this works for you soon

NanciT

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:55 pm

Thank you for responding nancy. I called the insurance company
and they said they are waiting on doctor pre auth. So I called the doctor and left a message. And now I'm just waiting. I dont know what else to do.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:34 am

It's rare to be allergic to oral vanco so ask for tests to confirm you are!
It's an important life saving antibiotic that should not be excluded from future use by mistaken "allergy".
Imagin laying unconscious in hospital with severe MRSA that only vanco will treat and they won't give it because someone marked you as allergic to vanco!
I think the stats are that 75% of patients saying they are allergic to a med are wrong!

If your passing blood you should go to ER, not wait for the insurance approval.

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:10 pm

They approved the dificid and are shipping it to me. I should get it tomorrow. Wooohoooo!
I was definitely allergic to vanco. I had anaphylaxis. It all happened so fast. Now I'm scared to death to take the dificid tomorrow . That was the scariest thing that ever happened to me. But, I've gotta be strong and just swallow the first pill and pray for the best.
C diff is the second worse thing that ever happened to me because it wont go away.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:34 pm

Happy to hear the Dificid is on its way! It does work! I also had an allergy to Vancomycin that was fairly severe so I am not able to take it any longer.

I had no issues with Difcid and have been on it in 2015 when I first had CDIFF, then again in 2020 . I never feel well on it, in my case it take about 3 days to kick in but I generally do not feel well at all on it. It has worked for me and many others on this site.

Wishing you the best, you should be doing better soon!

NanciT

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Thank you nancy.
What symptoms did you have on didicid?
It says it's in the azithromycin class and I've taken that a few times with no worries so crossing my fingers.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm

It stopped the D right away ( 3rd day) but I continued to have stomach pain on it. I had to take a tapered dose the first time ( 2015) and my current ID wanted me to do the same this time in 2020 to I was on it and slowly went off it . I don't recall how long that was for but with my history it was the only option.
It DOES work, I just did not feel well on it but made sure to take every single pill.

Most go on 10 day course and do just fine!!

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:13 pm

I just wanted to offer some moral support too. So sorry you got the result we all dread but great you got the Dificid. I don’t recall having any side effects from it. Good luck!

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 pm

Thank you gtrgirl. I took my first one today. Nervous. No anaphylaxis tho. Thank goodness.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 am

Vanco made me super sick & didn't get rid of the C. Diff for me. Dificid worked great & did it on the first try!
Hoping that the Dificid works for you as well and you feel much better very soon :)

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Thank you Rev for that positive reply. I needed that.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”