I Hope It Isn't Back... I'm Hoping I have Food Poisoning Instead..

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Avalon18
Regular User

I Hope It Isn't Back... I'm Hoping I have Food Poisoning Instead..

Postby Avalon18 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:22 pm

I've had 2 cases of C. diff, 2020-2021 and 2021-22, 12 months apart, both treated with Vancomycin, Dificid and Zinplava. Both episodes began in October, with Zinplava administered in December at almost the same time on 2 successive years. My cases were characterized by some diarrhea, and many (6-7, sometimes more ) formed movements, along with stomach pain. I tested positive for both C. diff toxins.

Thinks were quiet, with my gut slowly getting back to normal. For the past 2 days I've had D and cramps. The D starts right after dinner, with long lasting cramps. I think it might be from eating in a restaurant, or some prepared food, but I hope it's not the C. Diff coming back. After getting C. Diff twice, I'm pretty anxious about getting it again. I plan to hold off contacting my gastroenterologist to see if it clears in a couple of days, otherwise I dread the tests.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: I Hope It Isn't Back... I'm Hoping I have Food Poisoning Instead..

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:42 am

I have had problems for the last week and tested, but it was negative. If you do test, maybe do a stool culture as well to see if you did, in fact, pick up another bacteria at a restaurant. After my bouts with c diff, I had very similar symptoms and it turned out to be campylobacter, a different bacteria. It did not need to be treated. Got it from eating undercooked chicken.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:40 pm

Aww hoping for your sake it isn't back! I read your post and it gave me chills - I also had 2 bouts of C. Diff over the course of 12 months, both of my bouts also began during the month of October (Oct 2019 and Oct 2020 for me, also treated with Vanco and Dificid, respectively - no Zinplava though). In August of last year I had a major scare and remember that feeling of dread you mention, which I definitely experienced before I tested. I ended up calling my GI doctor and he had me test - I was very pleasantly surprised when he told me I'd tested negative (it turned out just to be a terribly bad post-infectious IBS flare). Sending good vibes your way & hoping for your sake that it is not C. Diff/something else too!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:50 am

Thanks. I tested negative for everything, so I guess it is IBS or stress-related. Hopefully, you are negative too.

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:59 pm

Went to my gastroenterologist today. He thinks it is probably food poisoning or a stomach virus, not C. diff. Symptoms are slightly better. I was told to get a stool test if I'm not considerably better in 2 days.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”