About to start Round Three of Vancomycin... how to get it to "stick" this time?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jeffh
Brand New Poster

About to start Round Three of Vancomycin... how to get it to "stick" this time?

Postby jeffh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:22 am

I got c-diff back in December 2021. I was tested and found to be positive in February. I took 2 courses of vancomycin with the last one ending towards the middle of April. Things seemed to be going "well enough" but started to revert back by the end of May. I didn't get tested again until last week which showed I'm still infected. I'm waiting for prior authorization from my insurance to pay for this third round of vancomycin. Meanwhile I have set up an appointment with a Liver, Colon, Stomach Center but it isn't until October.

My question is, are there things I can do to "nurture" or help my intestines during and after my vancomycin prescription? I've read people taking it slow as if they have IBS since your body is still trying to heal after the infection. I just didn't know that if any of it matters with regards to helping eliminate c-diff... either the c-diff is gone or it isn't. I did try some diet modification stuff last week prior to getting tested again for c-diff. I ate rice chex with bananas. I had rice for dinner. I laid off greasy/fatty food and beer. I am taking collagen powder for my knee and mixed it with banana powder. I also drank kefir every day. I also took l-glutamine. I took K-plus and Florastor probiotics. I noticed by day 2 I was backed up and it took 2 days to "clear it out". Ironically it's when I needed to provide a stool sample. Also, the "full" feeling was uncomfortable.

So is a modified diet mostly a good idea after the c-diff is gone to help heal the gut? Any tips would be appreciated.

roy
Administrator

Re: About to start Round Three of Vancomycin... how to get it to "stick" this time?

Postby roy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:51 am

Are you treating on the basis that you have positive test results?
Clostridium difficile is a normal gut flora in many people and trying to eradicate it causes more harm than good.
Testing positive is not a disease.
C. Diff colitis is the disease and its caused by the body reacting to an overgrowth of the bacteria and causing profuse watery D.
If there's no reaction there's no disease.

jeffh
Brand New Poster

Re: About to start Round Three of Vancomycin... how to get it to "stick" this time?

Postby jeffh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 am

I have tested positive again for c-diff and I've suspected having it again after months of water D. So yes, I have an overgrowth.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 am

Talk with your GI about DIficid. It is a targeted drug. Due to the cost, they often will put patient on Vanco several time. I was sick an entire year.

Dificid works, it saved me.

Hope things improve for you

NanciT

jeffh
Brand New Poster

Postby jeffh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:43 am

Thanks... yeah I'm hoping this clears up with the next round of Vanco before my October appointment but if not I'll see if they recommend Deficid or FMT moving forward.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:31 pm

Solidarity, Jeff. I'm also a 3 timer, just finishing vanco now. Hang in there. I hope something works soon for everyone suffering!
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”