Frequent UTIs. Any luck with Hiprex?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ygy
Regular User

Frequent UTIs. Any luck with Hiprex?

Postby Ygy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:39 am

Hi:)

I’m a 36 yo married female. 3 daughters!:)

QUESTION: Has anyone gotten cdiff after taking Hiprex for UTI prevention??!

Here is my history as I’ve been here before lol.

2012- got cdiff after exposure ( RN at the time) treated with vanco and easy recovery.

2017- cdiff after taking Bactrim for a UTI while pregnant . 10 days Vancomycin, relapsed 2 weeks later. 4 weeks vanco taper ended with 10 days of Dificid and recovered. PI- IBS after this occurrence

2018- cdiff after my C-section and hospital stay. Only antibiotic I got was IV vancomycin post op. 10 day Dificid worked well. Still have PI- IBS now even 4 years later. But it’s gotten much better and it’s manageable.

Currently I’ve had 3 UTIs in the last six months, each time occurring after sex. I’ve only ever had 5 UTIs in the past 12 years and they are very spaced out usually. So this is strange for me to keep having these UTIs. I’ve waited for the culture to come back positive each time. I’ve treated with Macrobid and Dificid at the same time to prevent a cdiff reoccurrence. No cdiff thankfully.

I finally got in to see a Urologist/Gyno. He recommended to take Hiprex each time after sex to prevent a UTI. Doctor is aware of my cdiff history and agrees that it isn’t wise to treat with Bactrim prophylaxis.

MD said Hiprex isn’t an antibiotic but online info is conflicting and confusing. I will consult with my GI tomorrow if I can get a call back.

Any advice?? I take cranberry pills and I did take D manoose but I felt it didn’t help. Any other advice??

Thank you!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Frequent UTIs. Any luck with Hiprex?

Postby NanciT » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:46 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

From my understanding Hiprex is and older drug that has been used a long time to prevent UTI's. I have never tried it. If you put the name in the search bar above it has been mentioned on the site and you can read posters experiences.

My Urologist is set on D Mannose being the only option for me. I take 500mg 4 times a day or it wont work. Its been 1 1/2 years and so far working for me. It is generally the only thing I mention on this site because so many are here due to treatments for UTI including myself.

In my case, I was very ill with CDIFF in 2014-15 and almost did not survive after a year and 5 rounds of long tapers. I also had it twice in 2020 from Uti's when I had cut out the D Mannose. I won't be doing that again!

Read through the posts and then decide if it's for you.

Take Care

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm

Hiprex is indeed an antiseptic, not an antibiotic. I have read a few UK articles recently where it has been championed as an overlooked treatment for UTI. I also read that if UTIs keep coming back after sex it’s because the bacteria are lingering around the entrance to your urethra, so you get reinfected each time rather than it being the same infection in your bladder that flares up repeatedly.

D Mannose is only effective for E-coli infections, as I understand it. Cranberry is not an effective treatment but somehow is still peddled as such.

As for whether Hiprex can cause C-Diff, I tried to find this out myself without success a few months ago. I think it only turns into its active form once it reaches the bladder. I have read that it can be ‘harsh on the gut’ but not clear what this actually means.

I guess you have to decide if it’s worth the lower risk than antibiotics would present if you had to take them yet again. You could also ask about UTI vaccine and/or antibiotic bladder instillations.

Hope that’s of some use!

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:35 pm

Thank you!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 pm

GtrGrl

I read about the UTI vaccine but here in the US needs further study. Is it available where you are? There are two. The Fim H is specific for E coli. The other MV 140 is a spray taken for 3 months.

Would love to hear if either of these are available where you are . It sounds like they will be doing more studies here and it could be awhile.

I am very interested!

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 am

Hi Nanci,

Yes, there is one called Uromune that’s available in the UK via some private urologists. I believe it’s the spray version. I was told it’s best to get rid of any infection before having it, which is obviously tricky for chronic UTI sufferers! When I mentioned it to my doc he didn’t get overly excited so I don’t think he considers it a miracle cure but is certainly an option worth considering for repeat sufferers (sadly only the ones who can afford it at the moment).

Hopefully won’t be too long before it’s approved in the States. The life-impacting pain and misery of UTIs has been overlooked for so long, and of course, as you say, the risk of C Diff hell from so many courses of antibiotics.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:16 pm

GtrGrl

Thanks for the info! It is the same as the one I mentioned ( MV 140) being tested here in the US. Its a sublingual that is taken everyday for 3 months.

I imagine the clinical testing by the FDA could take some time due to the fact it's taken by the patient for 3 full months.

Fingers crossed they get one of these approved, the other is a series of injections.

This could help so many......and so many here on the site started with a UTI

Thanks and if you here anymore or know anyone who has used it I would be interested!

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:41 am

Just some extra info an in case anyone is reading this looking for help: I now know Hiprex comes in two forms - hippurate and mandelate. The mandelate is coated, and is the recommended option by naturopaths as the extra layer means it is less ‘harsh on the gut’. (Unfortunately you can only get hippurate in the UK.)

It can be prescribed but I bought mine over the counter (not cheap but wanted to get on with it.I’ve started taking today, praying no extra ill effects.)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”