Bowel Prep Causing C Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Bowel Prep Causing C Diff?

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:23 am

I've had to take a load of Picolax in order to undergo the capsule endoscopy they are doing to look for the cause of my upper abdominal pain - and the watery evacuation is just not stopping. I took the last sachet at 6pm last night and it's now lunchtime and I'm hot and my heart is racing. I rang the nurse who said it should settle in the next 48 hrs, then when I told her I have had recurrent C Diff so I am v cautious she said, 'oh yes, it can cause that. Just go to your GP if you think it's back.' Now I am in a state. She clearly doesn't understand the PTSD associated with the infection and also it's not just a simply case of going to the GP if it comes back anything like it was before.

Has anyone else had dramatic effects from doing a colonoscopy or endoscopy bowel prep without it leading to a relapse? I could do with hearing it's not a definite.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bowel Prep Causing C Diff?

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:12 pm

The effects from those bowel preps can last a long time and keep going and going. I would not assume it is c diff, but call your GI if it continues.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:32 am

Thanks Beth. It's eased off quite a bit now. I'm trying not to fret that the CD might rear its head in the new few weeks, like it did after the original antibiotic all those months ago. I can't take any probiotics for extra protection because of the have-I-got-it-or-haven't-I SIBO! I guess only time will tell.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:28 am

I had laxative prep three times in the past :two times for FMT and once for bowel endometriosis surgery , and it lasted longer then two days for the gut to settle down . For the first 36 h was the BM is pure liquid then slowly starts to have a consistency.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks Georgina, good to know (in a way -- you know what I mean!)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”