UTI advice

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ladypes
Brand New Poster

UTI advice

Postby Ladypes » Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 pm

I’m not really new to this forum, mainly just read posts and gained so much knowledge from the moderators and others experiences. I contacted cdiff in 2015 after a hysterectomy. I was hospitalized (due to dehydration)and put on flagyl which did not work, so I was then switched to vancomycin. The vancomycin did the trick and I was sent home with a 10 day course. A week after finishing, I then relapsed and was given another 10 days with a taper. I have been cdiff free ever since.
I have had issues with UTI’s really since I’ve had the hysterectomy. Normally, My Dr hasn’t treated because of the bacteria levels being less than 100k, and any symptoms would eventually go away . It’s always the same pesky Klebsiella bacteria too. I normally do have some levels of this bacteria but usually not symptomatic. This time, the bacteria is more than 100k, and started with uti symptoms a week ago. After trying to flush it out and cranberry have failed, I am now facing my first antibiotic since having cdiff. My Dr. Prescribed 5 days of Bactrim. How likely is the cdiff to come back after this long? Also what is the best way to take probiotics with the antibiotics? I have been taking Florastor (one a day)regularly for 7 years now. Any advice would be great, as my anxiety hasn’t forgotten my cdiff days!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: UTI advice

Postby GtrGrl » Thu May 19, 2022 11:20 am

I believe cranberry juice is a myth, it can’t get rid of a UTI; you could try D-mannose, although it may not work for klebsiella. I would give it a go, make sure you get good quality stuff!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTI advice

Postby beth22 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:59 am

Florastor is a yeast and it won't be affected by the antibiotics, so you can take it whenever you like. If you opt to take a bacterial strain antibiotic, then take it in between your doses of Bactrim. Some bacterial strains of probiotics claim to help for UTI to prevent them, not to cure them. I know they also help to regulate the vaginal bacteria. My mom got UTIs after she had c diff and one of the things that the doctor prescribed for her was Estrace vaginal estrogen cream. She was already quite old - late 80s or early 90s and the caretakers thought this was crazy, but she did not get any more UTIs after she started it. Since you had a hysterectomy, you might be a candidate for that as well. Bactrim is a middle of the road antibiotic - not the worst offender, but not the lowest either. We have had some posters report that they took it successfully without a relapse.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”