Negative test, do I trust it

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cake918
Regular User

Negative test, do I trust it

Postby cake918 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:33 am

Long story short, took 4 days of Macrobid. Felt horrible the whole time. Continue to have morning D. Stopped taking abx on March 24. Cdiff test completed April 6, results negative on April 9. I continue to have D in the AM. Do I trust the test and move on with my life as it’s IBSD flare? Could I have tested too soon? If I’ve been having D the whole time, wouldn’t it have shown positive if this truly was a cdiff infection? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Test results:
Cdiff toxins A+B EIA: Negative

4 years post initial cdiff infection
Tolerated Macrobid x2 and zpack (3years ago)without relapse

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Negative test, do I trust it

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:59 am

I would think that if you had D the whole time, the test should have been accurate. If you continue, you can always retest. I find that after having had c diff, whenever I get some kind of GI issue, whether from food, or a virus, it lasts a lot longer than before I had c difficile. It could still be irritation. I would talk to your doctor and share your concerns.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Negative test, do I trust it

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 am

You could ask to be retested trough PCR next time , it's far more accurate then the toxin test.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”