Question about a dental issue

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
linnyg
Contributor

Question about a dental issue

Postby linnyg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:12 pm

Hello. Long-ish time member, and Im freaking out a bit. It will be 5 years April 12 since I had my 2nd FMT.

I still struggle with IBS type symptoms, but I just shrug it off, its my new normal.

I have a dental implant that is acting up and I have to have oral surgery and must be on an antibiotic. I refused clindamycin, and they gave me an RX for doxycycline earlier today. I have not taken a pill yet, as I was able to get into my GI doc tomorrow.

I am completely falling apart over this, and want to make sure I do everything I can do to prevent cdiff from happening again. Not kidding, just hearing this news and the word antibiotic made me cry. I cannot go through what I went through in 2016/17. I know some of you will get this.

Has anyone taken Dificid with another abx as a preventative? Do they even do that, or do we have to wait for a positive c diff test to get the good stuff?

I cannot take Flagyl or Vanco, so Dificid is my only hope IF it comes back, and sweet Lord, I do not want it again. Duh. Anything you can think of I should ask my GI doc? Or INSIST?

Guess I just need to be talked off the ledge here, as my anxiety has gone from a 2 to a 2000.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about a dental issue

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 pm

My mother was on doxy for a month a few years after she had c difficile and she did not relapse. It is one of the ones that are on the safer side.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:55 pm

Thanks! Im glad it worked for her with no issues.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:27 pm

There are aolt of people on the site that have taken Doxy with no issue. Dificid can be harsh and tough on the gut. If it were me, I would probably take a short course if possible. I was on Dificid while on IV antibiotics in the hospital in 2020, it was rough and I still did get CDIFF. The IV antibiotics were strong............I continued on a DIficid taper and did fine, thankfully.

Wishing you the best

NanciT

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:20 pm

I saw my GI this morning. I feel a bit more at ease. Thanks again!

Lela33
Brand New Poster

Postby Lela33 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:05 pm

Linnyg - Have you started taking the doxycycline? If so, how long do you have take it and how much a day?

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Tue May 03, 2022 10:05 pm

I did. I just finished it and so far, so good.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”