Hair Loss following Recurrent C Diff infection

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Vip2022!
Brand New Poster

Hair Loss following Recurrent C Diff infection

Postby Vip2022! » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:42 am

Hello,
This is my first post. I had my first round of C.Diff for over a month before I finally broke down to see my GP. I didn't want to leave my home because of severe and frequent diarrhea, but after a full month of not getting better I finally gave in and went to see my GP doctor. My GP's PA ordered blood work and a fecal test done in the hospital emergency room. The hospital's ER doc admitted me because in my blood work results it showed a white blood cell count over 37,000. My fecal test came back positive C.Diff. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. During my visit I was given various antibiotics both oral and intravenous. After leaving the hospital I was directed to stay on Vancomycin for 7 days and follow up with my GP doc. Three days after I finished my antibiotics my diarrhea came back. My GP ordered another 7 days of Vancomycin. A week after I finished my medication my diarrhea came back again. My GP sent me to a Gastroenterologist. The doctor had me stay on Vancomycin 2X a day for 2 weeks, then 1X a day for two weeks, then 1X every other day for 2 weeks, then stop. Staying on the antibiotics long term with the gradual taper off period seemed to finally kick my recurrent C. Diff infection.

One side effect to my long term 6 month C. Diff infection has been hair loss. I began loosing excessive amounts of hair everyday starting one month into my infection. I am still have excess hair shedding. I must have lost 65% of my long hair. I haven't noticed losing shorter hairs, just my longest hairs mostly in the back of my head. I am noticing new hair growth, but I am still losing hair. Is there a doctor who can tell me what I can do to stop my excessive hair shedding? If I lose any more, I'll be able to see my scalp in bright light. Help!

avocado
Brand New Poster

Re: Hair Loss following Recurrent C Diff infection

Postby avocado » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:25 pm

Hello! I also have hair loss after c. diff. infection. I probably lost about half or more of my hair starting three months after a second FMT in November 2021 that cured my c. diff. My dermatologist said it's stress alopecia and the hair should grow back. She said I should notice regrowth in the fall. I know we are all different, but sounds like this can happen to anyone after a serious infection. I hope this info is helpful.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:21 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters

We have had hair loss come up often through the years. You can check hair loss on the search bar to find the threads.

I lost alot of hair the first time I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 for a year and 5 rounds of treatment. I saw a DERM and he checked my lab. There were alot of things that were "off" like my Iron, Ferritan among others. I would make sure to check this out.

I ended getting Iron infusions and slowly the hair came back. Recently I had CDIFF twice in 2020. Once again I lost alot of hair so I am watching closely to see if it grows back and getting my lab monitored again.

NanciT

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:16 pm

I too was on several rounds of Vanco for my CDiff, and my hair came out in handfuls after I completed my final round. I wasn't sure what caused it; my cancer surgery, the CDiff I caught in the Hospital (I had a severe case) or the multiple rounds of Vanco (nasty stuff). I had a large bald spot in the back of my head, and one in front. It took months to tolerate food, so my nutrition was bad. I gradually added vitamin supplements and started drinking more water, and most of my hair grew back. I'm now two years out. My hair is still a bit thin in the front on one side, but thanks to the supplements the rest of my hair is probably healthier than it was going into all of this.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:56 pm

I lost a ton of hair too. I noticed it stopped falling out about 4 months after my FMT. It was stress, the medication and lack of nutrition. It gets better.

BaronLi
Brand New Poster

Postby BaronLi » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Hey there, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with C. Diff infection and the hair loss you've been dealing with. It sounds like you've been through a lot, and it's understandable that you're concerned about your hair. Excessive hair shedding can indeed be a side effect of prolonged illness and stress on the body. While I'm not a doctor, I've heard that Batana Oil could potentially help with hair loss. It's known for its nourishing properties that can promote healthy hair growth and strengthen hair follicles. You might want to consider giving it a try and see if it helps alleviate your hair shedding. You can find more information about it on https://batanabio.com . Additionally, I'd recommend consulting with a dermatologist or a trichologist for personalized advice and treatment options tailored to your specific situation.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”