IBS or re-infection of C. DIff??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Footie97
New User

IBS or re-infection of C. DIff??

Postby Footie97 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 am

Hello all:
I had C diff for 8 months in 2020 and eventually had FMT in December of 2020. I was tested twice after treatment (due to symptoms not to confirm success) and was negative. I have had IBS like symptoms since that time. Recently, my symptoms have gotten much worse. I am definitely failing the 3x3 rule. My new GI wants to do MRI enterography and I am being tested again for C Diff right now (have the test at home). I was on Vanco off and on for 6 months and tried Dificid without improvement. I have had Vanco IV pre-op for 3 surgeries (one dose for each) but no oral antibiotics since FMT.
GI thinks my symptoms are re-infection of C diff and he could be right but i am not near as sick as I was back then. I am being optimistic and hoping for negative result.
Does anyone have any experience with Rifaximin for IBS and/or with Cdiff treatment? How about Zinplava/bezlotoxumab infusions. I discussed Zinplava with ID before I FMT over a year ago.
Thanks for any input, I will post after tests return!
Clint

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS or re-infection of C. DIff??

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:36 am

I took Xifaxan for SIBO after FMT and it helped and did not give me a relapse. If your test is negative, you might talk to your GI about doing a breath test to see if you have SIBO.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS or re-infection of C. DIff??

Postby Ril » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:06 pm

I took xifaxan for IBS twice. The first time it worked for almost a year but the second time it was not effective. Neither time I did not relapse.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”