Has anyone taken Orthobiotic or VSL3?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

Has anyone taken Orthobiotic or VSL3?

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 am

Hi all - I'm not quite 16 months out from my 2nd bout with C. Diff and feeling better overall. My integrative MD did some testing and (surprise!) the results showed that I was low on good gut bacteria. She has recommended VSL3 to other patients, but because my gut is so sensitive (and VSL has a whopping 112.5 billion CFUs) we agreed that I might start with Orthobiotic (just 20 billion CFUs) to see how I do. Has anyone tried either of these 2 probiotics and had any positive (or negative) effect? Just curious - thank you!!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Has anyone taken Orthobiotic or VSL3?

Postby NanciT » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi

I have had no issues with VSL3. Costco carried it and I took 2/day post CDIFF. They don't carry it anymore but the generic one they have has same info etc. I have had no issue with that also

I now take 1/day, sometime I forget. I am on Aciphex and should take it everyday

You may want to try one and see how it goes

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:18 am

I am very sensitive to probiotics and don't do well with many. I take VSL#3, but only take a small amount out of the capsule and put it on applesauce. I do fine with that. Have never tried the other one you mentioned.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:07 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Upon reading reviews on both Orthobiotic and VSL3, I found that while both probiotics have mostly positive reviews it seems that a very small subset of people have experienced stomach upset with the VSL3. As I had severe IBS even pre-C. Diff and tend to do better on less potent supplements, I think I'm going to take the less potent one of the two that my doctor recommended for me (Orthobiotic) and possibly consider trying VSL3 later on down the road. Thank you again!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”