Vanco Taper issues

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jackie24
Regular User

Vanco Taper issues

Postby jackie24 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:38 pm

I have been on Vanco since the middle of December. The ID doctor is trying to get me to take one Vanco every other day and then every 3 days. Everytime I go every other day my loose stools come back with a vengeance. I was tested the other day and I was negative for Cdiff. I am so confused as to why that happens! I am scheduled with a GI to talk about scheduling an FMT at the end of this month so maybe he can shed a light on it. I take Pepto twice daily to prevent the loose stools and it works for the most part.

Could you get a false negative being on antibiotics? Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Taper issues

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:34 pm

I was never tested while being treated. Only once I finished the Vanco taper, waited about 3 weeks did I test positive. Each relapse I had occurred that way. Both my ID and GI did not want to treat unless I had the same severe symptoms again.

That is just my case, I went on a Dificid taper after several relapses. I actually met with one of the Top GI's in our area while on that taper and he wanted me to do the same thing. He had me prepare all the paperwork for FMT but kept me on the Dificid taper and then I had to wait. It worked for me and no FMT was needed.

I am not sure you could test positive while being treated. I know how tough all of this is......I hope you get some answers and get better soon

NanciT

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:23 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I just want to get the FMT and see if I can get some relief fro
It! If I take the one Vanco a day I am usually alright but if I skip a day it’s all she wrote! I don’t think you can test positive either while on treatment.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:43 am

I’m so sorry! I would ask your doc if this could be possible post infectious IBS especially bc you are testing negative. I have read on this site that if pepto helps your symptoms that may not be c diff- as nothing will stop c diff. I hope you feel better soon!

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:14 pm

Lissuard

It possibly could be Post infectious IBS. Pepto does help but it causes stomach pain but if it will stop the D I will take a little pain! I see the GI that specializes in Cdiff on the 28th to discuss the FMT so hopefully he can help me!

Jackie24

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:31 am

Jackie24

I hope you can get a FMT. At least one of the sources of transplant material, Open Biome, has stopped the donor process due to Covid and the ongoing development of a lab-created alternative. Does your doctor have a source for the transplant? I understand some family members are a potential source, but that’s not always possible. Hopefully you can get the treatment you need. Right now, I probably have post-infection IBS. I wish I could normalize my gut….

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:09 pm

Avalon18

I hope I can get the FMT too! I don’t know anything yet until my appointment but I hope this doctor can give me some relief!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”