What constitutes an active infection?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jackie24
Regular User

What constitutes an active infection?

Postby jackie24 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 pm

I had a visit with the ID last Friday and she told me that it was okay to take one Imodium if I was going somewhere if I did not have an active infection. I am currently getting ready to start the skipping days of Vanco pulse I guess you call it. How do I know if I have an active infection? Do you have to have WD to have an active infection? I have constant abdominal pain, 4-5 semi-solid stools a day, and have gurgling. Is this not an active infection? Sorry for all the questions but this is so stressful!

Jackie24

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What constitutes an active infection?

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 pm

If you are still on vanco, it is unlikely you would get an active infection. I consider active infection to be WD, but ask the doctor who told you that to see what he means by it.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:11 am

Beth22

I am starting the every other day Vanco tomorrow. Hopefully you can’t relapse while still taking it. I did ask her what she means by active infection and she said the WD as well. I took an Imodium yesterday and I have horrible cramps today. I used to live on the stuff but since getting Cdiff I am having trouble tolerating it and Pepto.

Jackie24

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:52 am

You can relapse when you taper. It happened to me, but usually the doctor will say to increase the dose again for a bit and then try to cut again. You will have to see how it goes. Everyone is different. I had good luck with Pepto. I just took a small amount with meals and it worked. If I took a big dose, it made me feel bad too.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 pm

Woke up this morning and did not make it to the bathroom. Wasn’t WD but it was a mess! The infectious disease doctor gave me stool kits and orders but I don’t know whether to test if it’s just mushy and yellow and not WD.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm

That qualifies as d and you had no control so yes, test.
And descriptions like that belong in the TMI section please.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:20 pm

It doesn't have to be pure water , if it's loose enough to get the shape of the container you can test it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”